Propane smell? WTF?!

Vortechtral

Hey, so this morning when I got to work, turned the car off, and all the sudden a very strong propane smell hit me. Driving home at some point this afternoon there was a slight propane smell. Then again once I got home and turned the car off, again propane smell. I don't have a tank in the back for emergency BBQs. I don't understand this! Is there something that can smell like propane, or am I simply craving BBQ?

How new is the car? How many miles? If relatively new, it might just be some coating or something from the factory burning off. I have read on other forums of a similar smell, but it only lasted a few weeks.

One interesting answer I also read was concerning the AWD models of some GM vehicles. Do you have AWD?

As for the propane smell, I'm assuming you have AWD. The source of the smell is transfer case vent tube, as the transfer case contains Hypoid Gear Oil (sulfur based), which vents into the engine compartment, and then it gets drawn into the passenger cabin by the HVAC system. GM produced a relocation kit for this issue. P/N 19256170.

Its about half a year old now with close to 70k KM attached to it (work is too far away) and yes, it is an AWD. It just started too which was very weird. When it was new the only smell was new car smell. I may need to phone Ford if this persists unless its nothing to worry about.

I had the same propane smell in a 2005 Suburban we once owned. Took it in twice while under warranty, but the dealer never figured out what was causing it. About 16,000 miles after the warranty expired, we were pulling a 28' camper over one of the continental divides in the Rockies and on the way down the rear end developed a funky humming sound. We stopped at the closest GM dealer and when he opened the rear differential cover, the garage filled with the worst smell of propane. The gears had ground themselves down to a slurry of metal shavings. They had to put in a new rear end. The repair was covered under warranty since there was documentation of the two earlier dealer visits about the propane smell. THANK GOD! Be sure they open the covers and check the drive train thoroughly.

Edited by kc300c

• 3 weeks later...

Took it in due to my power steering leak, they also said the oil was blowing all over the exhaust causing the propane smell. They washed the under carriage after changing the hose. When I got home there was still the tell tale smell of propane but perhaps they didn't wash well enough. If it persists for a few more weeks then its back to the dealership I go.