*disclaimer* My dad drives a '10 Taurus.

My dad has been marvelling at my Edge's light output for quite some time. He also drives with his high beams on, even is relatively lightend areas, at night because it's easier to see. I figured HIDs would be a good father's day gift.

I came here since some of those at TCCA (taurus forum) can be somewhat of pricks about HID discussion (sorry if you're over there). I have HIDs in my reflector housing. Yeah, it's not super clear, but it's still better than stock. My dad's taurus has a halogen projector in it. I figured it'd be better than mine, but still not as good as having an HID projector would do. Just came to get opinions. It seems those at TCCA are whole-heartedly against using HIDs in anything but an HID projector, even if the lights are aimed at or below the appropriate cut-off.

Also, I have Retro-Solutions HIDs, but decided I didn't want to order those for unsaid reasons. I don't know much about DDM, and I've heard Morimoto is currently having issues with their ballasts. HIDExtra was something I came across, and I understand some members here use their HIDs. It will be a 35W 5000k 9005 kit in a halogen projector.

Any objections?

I have the DDM 55w 5000k's in my '11 Edge with Haolgen projectors and they're great! Light out put is much more and I don't get flashed by oncoming cars ever. I say for the HID's in general and forget the haters.

As for the brand, I got the DDM's for the price and you could buy two sets (one for back-up) for the cheaper than one TRS or other. Now I have heard bad things about the DDM harness and I actually ditched that for the Morimoto. Not that my DDM harness was bad but I got a good deal on a slightly used Morimoto one and jumped on it. The quality of the wires is much better with the Morimoto so I can see why some people don't like the DDM harness. That being said, you're going 35W and don't really need the harness but I know some people prefer pulling power directly from the battery as to not over tax the factory wiriing.

DDM's warranty is pretty good as well, haven't had to use it but I've seen the word lifetime being thrown around. Not sure the exact details about that but I wouldn't discount them based off price.

-Russ

I don't necessarily want to pay the $30 for the relay harness from Morimoto, since that's half the price of the HIDextra kit, but the $10 one from HIDextra looks like it would work fine with the DDM product. I like DDM's lifetime warranty, but it will be about $10 more than the HIDextra.

Might work well in the Taurus's halogen projectors or might not. One thing to consider is the reliability of all these cheap Chinese hid kits. If I lose a ballast,bulb or relay I can pull over in the middle of the night and change a part with the spares I carry or put the halogens back in. Can your Dad do that????????

I can't even do that with Retro-Solutions, but the replacement is an email and 2-day shipping away. It's the lifetime warranty that's attractive. Since the Retro kit is 3 times the price and I had a ballast issue after two years that cost me $40. My single HID headlight was still better than both halogen projectors, so I'm not really worried about immediate replacements. I'll read more into the warranty, but from what I understand, the DDM harnesses aren't the best, but the HIDextra kit has free shipping, which is a plus.

If ya can't replace defective parts yourself on the side of a road in the middle of the night, make sure your harness has dual relays so the chance of losing both headlights at the same time is remote. It might be kinda tough driving at night without headlights!!!!:) I think the Morimoto harness has dual relays and fuses. I run a DDM 35/5000 kit that has been pretty reliable but I did have a ballast die after 18 months of use. DDM did send me a new one after inspecting the defective unit.

Edited by fishx65

Just an FYI, I just finished adding a new product to our www.DriveBright.com web store. It's a new 35W HID Kit. Check it out. I'll be posting a new thread announcing them in the next few days. It is an excellent kit and works perfectly on the Edge (no flicker or false starts) GUARANTEED. Lifetime warranty as well. Here's the link: http://drivebright.com/home/shop/hid-headlight-replacement-kit-new/

ExplorerBanner_zps85c57fac.gif

Edited by kc300c
  • Like 1

KC, will the auto headlight feature on the Edge work with your new HID kits?

Yes, my HID kit works perfectly with the auto-on headlight setting. There are no "false starts" (one or both HID bulbs won't start when engine is turned on). There is also no bulb flicker.

I had my HID kit manufacturer make a kit specifically designed to eliminate all of the common problems normally associated. I had components added the electronic ballasts that are not usually found on universal kits.

Dang. I want on your email list! Already ordered the TRS kit, KC, but my dad drives a Taurus. Looks like that's a kit for a Civic, but do they use the same bulb. 9005? If I here back from you in an hour, I may be able to cancel the other order :worship:

Sorry, just read your post. Hope I'm not too late. I stock all of the common bulb sizes (9005, 9006, 9012, H8, H9, H11). We offer them in 5000K & 6000K. We are choosing not to carry the warmer white 4300K colors because the trend in newer cars is a cooler OEM headlight color in the 5000K range. Especially in the new LED only OEM headlights (ie: Acura).

ExplorerBanner_zps85c57fac.gif

Edited by kc300c

Next time I'm in the market for anything lighting related, you'll be the first place I look. :wub: I could careless about cooler colors, anyway. TRS had a priority express mail thing happening, so I wasn't able to change the order, unfortunately. Still, maybe I can convince Mom she needs new headlights, but they will definitely be my brother's xmas present for his edge.

• 2 weeks later...