From factory Halogen to Factory HID's?

My wifes 2011 edge limited has the factory HID's on it.

We possibly have it sold and are looking at a 2013 edge sport with every option we want except the factory HID's.

is there a ford produced kit to "add-on/ replace the halogen factory setup with HID's?

If not can you buy ford parts that will act as factory HID's?

do you have to splice/cut into the factory wiring harness?

thanks in advance!

I concur, an aftermarket kit would be the most cost effective. Not to mention that they would be equal if not better than OEM depending on which route you go.

You wouldn't need to cut or splice any of the factory wires, infact if you go with a 35w kit you won't even need any additional wiring and can just plug the ballasts into the factory harnesses. Now you will need to drill a hole in the factory cover on the back of the headlight. This is the plastic circle that you unscrew to get to the bulbs themselves. The hole is necessary so you can run the wiriing from the bulb to the ballast, and if you're worried about any warranty issues you could always purchase another set for about $30 online.

I concur, an aftermarket kit would be the most cost effective. Not to mention that they would be equal if not better than OEM depending on which route you go.

You wouldn't need to cut or splice any of the factory wires, infact if you go with a 35w kit you won't even need any additional wiring and can just plug the ballasts into the factory harnesses. Now you will need to drill a hole in the factory cover on the back of the headlight. This is the plastic circle that you unscrew to get to the bulbs themselves. The hole is necessary so you can run the wiriing from the bulb to the ballast, and if you're worried about any warranty issues you could always purchase another set for about $30 online.

is there any recommended kit/bulbs other ford edge members are using for the 35w?

There are a few kits that I've seen on here with varying price ranges. One option is a Morimoto kit from TheRetrofitSource.com which will run you about $150 and not sure about shipping costs. I've also heard about HID extra kits I belive but not 100% sure on that name

Personally, I'm using a DDM tuning kit and I know a lot of others here (and on other forums) are using the same. The kits themselves are super cheap at $30 each, but they ship from overseas so the shipping is about $15 but when you look at the total cost for the kit you can't beat it. Some have had problems with their ballasts but seeing that you can buy 3 kits for the price of one Morimoto kit you could afford to have spares. Additionally they are offering lifetime warranties on their ballasts so that should be a non issue.

I would say that DDM's wiring harnesses aren't the best and I actually ditched mine for a Morimoto which has much heavier wires and seperate fuses for each ballast. This way if one fuse blows I won't loose all of my lighting! You don't really need that for a 35w kit as the factory wireing will be sufficient, but it would be an option and figured I'd let you know.

I've had my DDM kit installed for about a year now with no issues. You may have sporatic issues with one or both of the lights not firing when in Auto mode and would have to cycle the lights to off and then back on in order for them to ignite. This is not limited to any specific kit that I know of but I think most with the Morimoto kits don't have this happen as often. For me it's not worth the extra $$ for the kit to have to occationally cycle my lights to off and then back on.

Hope this helps,

-Russ

• 2 weeks later...