Changing Tastes

carjock

Id'a never thunk it! When we started looking for a new car and had narrowed it down to an Edge, all I could think about was a loaded Limited with all options and chrome everything! That's always how I liked my cars. Then, a dealer friend told me about this brand new but "leftover" 2013 SEL that they had on their lot that was loaded with every option available (Unbelievably high MSRP for an SEL) and they REALLY wanted to sell it! So, I went to take a look. It really turned me off when I saw it...it had the SEL Appearance Package which means little chrome and very large, mostly black wheels, Except for the beautiful RUBY RED paint, I thought that this was definitely NOT the car for me. But, we drove it and saw how many gadgets it had, how well it drove, how comfortable it was and all that, but still walked away because I couldn't get by the "plain jane" appearance. Well, after about a month of this dealer enticing me with better deals and my looking at it more and more, guess what? I not only started to like the looks of the car, but also started to like the "monochromatic" look, painted grill, and large black wheels. I ended up buying it for what has to be one of the best deals I've ever gotten on a new car, and now I absolutely love it! It is quite unique looking for a car as common as the Edge, and really does stand out in the crowd! I can't believe how much I like this thing, and now find myself looking for ways to get rid of the little chrome that is on the car, add some "racy" appearance details, etc. I guess we can all learn to like new and different things, but if someone had told me a couple of months ago that I would buy a car like this, I would have thought they were nuts. But I'm having a ball with this thing.....never say never!

• Like 1

I did post an item under new member introductions that was very much like this when I bought the car.....maybe it's me whose losing it? You know what happens when you get old (with the mind, I mean). Sorry if I duplicated, but I really am surprised at how fast my "taste" changed when I started considering and then buying this car.

• 3 weeks later...

You have the same model I bought 2 months ago, mainly as a compromise with my wife. She wanted the BAMR and heated seats that weren't black, I wanted anything but a chrome grill and black seats with the ecoboost. What we found was an ecoboost Ruby Red SEL with the Appearance Package with every option but the adaptive cruise control.

We both LOVE the seats that are black and aren't black. The stone center section makes them much more comfortable in the heat. I don't normally like moon roofs, but the BAMR is great, and our German Shepherd Dog loves it.

The wheels look OK and I really like the body color grill and lack of chrome. I just need to figure out how to get rid of the one piece in the hood. Yes, the Ruby Red just "POPS" and are few and far between. We see more Sports in RR with the black grill than all the other models together.

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the 21mpg I've been averaging in mixed driving. It gets about 18 in the city and 24 on the highway, though I haven't been able to get it out on a long flat stretch of highway yet to see where it will max out. All our trips have been under 100 miles and or on very hilly stretches.

Over all I rate it an 8.5 out of 10, and if the milage picks up that should improve.