Engine noise

rpp1965

I have a 2007 edge sel plus AWD.I've had it for about 2 weeks and I noticed the engine making a loud deep revving noise when excelerating.It seemed to get worse the past couple of days.I can feel the vibration in the gas pedel.I went back to the dealer and test drove another edge, makes the same wining noise, but it doesn't have the deep revving noise.Is there something wrong with the negine or is it just the braking in period?

hummm, Then this is really going to be tricky to diagnose this online. However, you definitely came the the best place to get help. First, as an introductory diagnosis, there shouldn't be a large charge until we can pinpoint the exact gremlin down. Just about everyone here knows of the awful problems the red ones have had.

Lets just start with the "loud deep revving noise when accelerating", then we can move onto the wining noise later.

Was this a deep sound, like a foghorn on a ship lost in deep fog in the S.F. bay area? Or a deep sound like the washing machine would make when you've overloaded it?

Then again, was it a deep sound or a reallllly deeeep sound? Do you think you might know the Octave it was making?

I'm just trying to get a little more information to make an informed determination, before we submit the vehicle to our chief surgeon's.

Black with black leather

Really? I have heard several people (all of who own red) talking about this problem.

A loud deep noise when accelerating...more of a roar or just a noise/sound like a whine, but not high pitched?

The people with the red ones tell me that when they accelerate through turns, the sound isn't there. It is only when going straight. And two of them said it was really noticeable when going onto the freeway..like when you accelerate on the on-ramp.

Any of this apply to you?

Really? I have heard several people (all of who own red) talking about this problem.

A loud deep noise when accelerating...more of a roar or just a noise/sound like a whine, but not high pitched?

The people with the red ones tell me that when they accelerate through turns, the sound isn't there. It is only when going straight. And two of them said it was really noticeable when going onto the freeway..like when you accelerate on the on-ramp.

Any of this apply to you?

Deep roar when accelerating.Didn't notice on turns.Don't have to accelerate hard does it on normal accelerating.

hummm, Then this is really going to be tricky to diagnose this online. However, you definitely came the the best place to get help. First, as an introductory diagnosis, there shouldn't be a large charge until we can pinpoint the exact gremlin down. Just about everyone here knows of the awful problems the red ones have had.

Lets just start with the "loud deep revving noise when accelerating", then we can move onto the wining noise later.

Was this a deep sound, like a foghorn on a ship lost in deep fog in the S.F. bay area? Or a deep sound like the washing machine would make when you've overloaded it?

Then again, was it a deep sound or a reallllly deeeep sound? Do you think you might know the Octave it was making?

I'm just trying to get a little more information to make an informed determination, before we submit the vehicle to our chief surgeon's.

Deep vibrating throaty sound.It does lesson as you pick up speed,then goes away when at high speeds.

"makes the same wining noise, but it doesn't have the deep revving noise"

This is what's really baffling me. The wining noise without the deep revving noise. I can see the deep revving noise but with the wining noise or the wining noise with the deep revving noise, but not the wining noise and no deep revving noise. Conversely no wining noise and no deep revving noise would be just as bad as a wining noise without the deep revving noise.

Deep roar when accelerating.Didn't notice on turns.Don't have to accelerate hard does it on normal accelerating.

I wouldn't mess around with this. Especially with the vibration. I don't remember any of the other people mentioning vibrations so...this could be..I don't mean to worry you but...this could be fairly serious.

I think I would go the dealer...get one of the techs to ride with you and show him what you are talking about.

Tell him you know about the issues with the Red Edges and you can't help but wonder if it isn't the same problem.

The dealer will just lead him around and try to confuse him with psychobabble. Here it gets a shot at some real experts.

Do you remember the time of day the Deep vibrating throaty sound started and which way the vehicle was pointed when the sounds started erupting?

Deep Vibration throaty sound...... hummm.. like a Loren Hutton type? or a Betty Grable type? The answer has to lie in the exact type of Deep vibrating throaty sound.

The dealer will just lead him around and try to confuse him with psychobabble. Here it gets a shot at some real experts.

Do you remember the time of day the Deep vibrating throaty sound started and which way the vehicle was pointed when the sounds started erupting?

Deep Vibration throaty sound...... hummm.. like a Loren Hutton type? or a Betty Grable type? The answer has to lie in the exact type of Deep vibrating throaty sound.

almost like a exhaust sound,but coming from the engine.

almost like a exhaust sound,but coming from the engine.

Now were onto something. The newer applied science's of acoustic determination and diagnosis, would lead one to wonder if you actually are making the diagnosis while sitting in the vehicle or outside. IF in, then you need to know a speed and direction. Ex. Your traveling at 60 mph. and all 4 windows are down. you hear a squeaking noise coming from the passenger rear window. Not a High whining squeaking noise but a low deep squeaking noise. Your first impression might be that the sound is coming from the back.

Wrong, the most likely cause is that it's actually coming from the front. From the front right wheel. From the front right wheel shock absorber to be precise. Why, you may ask.

Yes, you may. The noise is actually an inverse of the proportionally of the air waves being set up and the interaction of humidity. Since your slicing thru the vacuum of air. Sound has not yet hit an air molecule. By the time you have transversed the space between the time the sound vibration was first appolusalted and the time it thought about traveling thru the snow to grandmother's house we go. you have passed that space and thusly to your spacial perceptions, you thought it was coming from the back.

Now were onto something. The newer applied science's of acoustic determination and diagnosis, would lead one to wonder if you actually are making the diagnosis while sitting in the vehicle or outside. IF in, then you need to know a speed and direction. Ex. Your traveling at 60 mph. and all 4 windows are down. you hear a squeaking noise coming from the passenger rear window. Not a High whining squeaking noise but a low deep squeaking noise. Your first impression might be that the sound is coming from the back.

Wrong, the most likely cause is that it's actually coming from the front. From the front right wheel. From the front right wheel shock absorber to be precise. Why, you may ask.

Yes, you may. The noise is actually an inverse of the proportionally of the air waves being set up and the interaction of humidity. Since your slicing thru the vacuum of air. Sound has not yet hit an air molecule. By the time you have transversed the space between the time the sound vibration was first appolusalted and the time it thought about traveling thru the snow to grandmother's house we go. you have passed that space and thusly to your spacial perceptions, you thought it was coming from the back.

In other words, there is no telling where the sound is coming from.

Again, get to the dealer. Relay the information you learned here; same problem with Red Edges and it's possible the sounds could be coming from somewhere entirely different than what you and/or the Tech might think.

You know...07 makes me think...Do you have a BAMR? And is the sound different with it open and closed?

Ummm... I could add some insight, but might not be as thorough as some folks.

The low rumble might be normal noise associated with the AWD unit engaging, particularly since you only seem to notice it while accelerating. Obviously can't diagnose it without hearing it, but it's not necessarily problematic. If it's troubling you, it's worth a trip to the dealership for a closer look - that's what free service is for! Just be prepared for the possibility that nothing's wrong!

Cheers