won't shift out if park

caseyk

A week ago I had to replace the battery in my edge. Since then every morning when I go to start the car, it starts, but it won't shift out of park, and the anti lock light comes on. Also, the break lights won't work. If I wait a while and try again it works just fine.

Are all the brake lights inoperative or just the high mount or ? Can you shift into neutral without the Edge started? If so, do that, then start the Edge and try shifting into another gear (reverse/drive etc.). Could be the Transmission Range sensor. Could also be a fuse for the stoplamp switch (#71, 10A I think), or compromised wiring on that fuse. You have to be careful not to press/pull/touch the brake pedal during the stoplamp switch replacement procedure also.

To quote the service manual:

Normal Operation

The stoplamp switch is supplied voltage through circuit SBB71 (WH/RD) from the battery junction box (BJB). When the brake pedal is applied, the stoplamp switch routes voltage to the smart junction box (SJB) and the high mounted stoplamp through circuit CCB08 (VT/WH).

Installation

CAUTION: It is very important to not press, pull or touch the brake pedal assembly during the installation of the stoplamp switch. Failure to follow these instructions may damage the stoplamp switch.

Exactly what problem did you have that required battery replacement? Was it leaking badly?

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W