How many gallons of coolant, and where is the petcock?

briandye

I have a 2009 Ford Edge, got my oil changed today, and at 109k miles, noticed the coolant was pretty dirty. They pointed it out at the shop, and had the little tester, it was nasty dark green.

I can do coolant flushes/changes myself, so I opted out of them doing it.

I get online, and find out that the Edge is supposed to have the Ford Gold coolant. I finally found that Napa has it, so im heading out to get some as soon as I get an answer.

How many gallons do I need? (Don't wanna buy too much, wallet is a little dry right now!)

And where is the petcock located to drain the radiator? Im gonna drain it, refill it with distilled water, and run the car with the heat on, and drain it as im putting more water in to hopefully get 99% of the green stuff out, and refill with the gold.

Any suggestions on my procedure that I should change/add? Thanks!

2009 w/ AWD

Tow package or not? Same coolant, 1 quart more for tow package setup. Get 4 gallons of the coolant (50/50) or 2 gallons unmixed.

Engine coolant 11.7 quarts (11.09L) Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant
VC-10-A (US) CVC-10-A (Canada) / WSS-M97B55-A
Engine coolant–with trailer tow package 12.83 quarts (12.14L) Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant
VC-10-A (US) CVC-10-A (Canada) / WSS-M97B55-A

Type should be listed on the overflow bottle cap, I think, just to verify. Petcock is on the lower driver side of the radiator.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=5XXO8s48F4CfMMC8wznJKg%3d%3d&id=287852984&m=2&search=true&year=2009&make=Ford&model=Edge