Did I just get a raw deal. A3 update navigation?

I took delvery of my used 2013 Edge SEL today. They told me when I signed the contract that they would update all the systems and do all the outstanding TSB's. But I get the feeling this was really a BST (bull sh! trick) on me to make me part with my money.

I did get a missing NAV SD card, but it's the A3, that is about 2 versions out of date. The MFT is still on version 3.5 and not updated. I have no idea if they did any additional work on the vehicle, and short of going in and demanding the service department pull all the work orders on the car, there is no way to know if anything was done. I was told that all the MFT updates were my responsibility. Not a bit deal, download to a USB and follow the instructions.

My question is simple.. If I do the 3.6.2 upgrade to the MFT, will that include an update for the Nav SD card to bring it up to the latest A5 version, or is that something that I need to go back to the dealership to get?

Thanks.

The A3 card is just as good as the A5 and is what your car would have come with initially. If they wrote it in the contract that they would give you an update to the A5, then that's fine, but the only way to get an A5 card for your 2013 is to pay for it, whether it's you or the dealer who pays is up to your contract, but it won't be Ford.

BTW just so you're not confused, the maps are all on the SD card. Pop out the SD card and it will say A3 right on it. The only way to update the maps is to put in a new SD card.

Also "do all the outstanding TSBs" doesn't make any sense. TSBs are ways to fix problems. If your car doesn't have the problem, you don't need to do the TSB. So if the only way to know if your car had work done is to pull work orders, then you don't need the work done. What exactly is it that you wanted them to do?

A-4 was latest provided to original owners with out cost when software was updated. This was partial due to the A-3 didn't work on the software update ( at that time) so they had to give A-4. On the next software update it magically worked with both A-3 & A-4 & made it harder to get A-4. The A-5 is worth ~ $125 from dealer but each dealer can sets their own prices or cut you a deal.

The later the Card number the more accurate the "POI" or point of interests that are since they are part of the SD card. The Music gracenotes updates are NOT that big a deal since it is pretty horrible to begin with...better to just fix the id tags in your music metadata.

I spoke with my sales rep and was told that they only have the A4 here in Oakville, so that is the latest ones that they have. It comes down to a bit of semantics with me as Ford is advertising the A5 so I would have thought that was the latest and if you promise that with the sale of a vehicle then it looks best to deliver that. Not this it will make my enjoyment of this car any less I guess.

I have seen the A5 on sale on some of those bidding sites like ebay. They are not coming from China so they might even be legitimate copies. I am wondering how often Ford releases a new set of maps? I ask as we are getting on to the end of 2014, and if there is a new set of maps every year, then it might be better to wait for a year to get the newer maps with the new stuff added. But if it's a longer release cycle, then I'd consider picking a newer set up now.

• 4 weeks later...

OK.. I'll byte.. what did it say??

I just got the same mailing from Ford about my navigation card being out of date. I am using the A4 card which Ford provided when I did the last update on the system since like it was mentioned earlier in this post, the A3 card would not work with the first release of the update.

I threw the mailing away, but it was Ford selling the A5 card for either $149.00 or $199.00, I don't quit remember which price exactly. I believe it was $149.00. I looked on eBay and found the card for around $65.00 which includes shipping if I want to buy it from other sources here in the US. Feedback is 100% on the sellers and they are the Ford cards, new in the package.

I think the mail piece also seaid something about 6 million miles of roadway being updated? Wonder what they mean updated? I know on the A4 card there are many roads and streets without the speed limit shown or shown incorrectly. If they add the speed or correct the speed, wonder if they count the miles of the road as having been "updated"? Not going to buy the card right now, I still have the SYNC Services in force for any directions if the nav can't find what I am looking for.