Thoughs on second set of rims for winter??

roadkill401

I have just picked up my Edge so I have ZERO knowlege on how the tires will perform over the winter time. In the past, every car that I have ever bought came with some unknown tire that when winter came, simply had to be removed and I always replaced them with a Michelin LTX-M+S tire. I know how it handles and it's a bit more aggressive all season radial that for the roads here seems to do OK in winter time.

This Edge comes with at least a set of Michelin tires, but I think they are more of an efficiency tire rather than a grippy one. So I get the feeling that this year I will break tradition and get actual snow tires for the winter time. So comes the great question. Do you use the factory rims and keep swapping the tires every 6 months back and forth (and risk bashing the edges of the rim each time in the process) or simply get a new set of winter rims (steel). Over the off season, you will need to store the alternate tires regardless so it makes no difference for space is they are on a rim or not. The only problem that I have found is that getting an 18" rim out here seems to be rather dificult. There are plenty of 17" rims than can be ordered, but I don't know if the clearance around the disc breaks is enough to handle a smaller rim so a tighter fit. The difference in tire profile is negligible between a 225/65R17 that snow tires are easy to get and a good $120 less for the tires to boot.

Any thoughts or what others have done.

I picked up a few sets of rims just for this...I have one extra set, if you weren't so far away I would say we could work out a deal. But I think you have a good plan, the stock tires are OK but not very confidence inspiring. If you drive anywhere with hills slowing down or stopping with the stockers is sketchy. I would check out a site like Tire Rack since it will give you a bunch of packages that will fit your Edge. I have also purchased from Discount Tire Direct and Tire Buyer in the past but I find TR's database to be more accurate. One other advantage to dedicated snows is you can take them off if the winter is mild and be able to quickly throw them back on when a storm is coming. One other suggestion is to make sure you get the TPMS sensors. I have one set right now that doesn't and the damn alarm is annoying.

Tirerack has alloy wheels starting at ~$100 and good tires are a lot cheaper than I can find here in Canada. I got Michelin x-ice for mine as thery are rated high and have low rolling resistance (like the factory Michelins). I have 17" on mine, the overall diameter is very close to the 18"

The TMPS sensors are a good idea too, mine were about $170 a few years ago.

So, I am to gather that a 17" rim will fit on this vehicle and not interfere with the disc break calipers?

While also surfing, the Tire Store also said something about the TMPS sensors that you need a device that will cause either the sensors or the car to properly talk with each other when you switch wheels. Is it one of those things that is a nice to have but not needed.. ie the car will sense the wheels but it might take 2-4 miles for the sensors to get recognized, and that device just makes it instant... ??

The mosy important question is the rim size. will 17" definitely fit?

Tirerack.com seems to think the 17" wheels will fit fine. Since there are really no brake hardware changes between trim levels, I'd agree :)

A TPMS trainer would get rid of that annoying period of TPMS messages you get while road-training the vehicle. Really don't use the device any other time, but can get one off EBay. Or have your local tire shop do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ford-TPMS-Sensor-Training-Tool-Tire-Pressure-Programming-Activation-/271293210456

I got my 17" from tirerack and they do a good job telling you what wheels will fit on your car.

I have had my snow tires on three winters now and they enrolled the the car's system automatically without flashing a warning until I put the stock wheels on this spring. It went out by itself after a while.

When I ordered from tirerack they called me up insisting I needed the tool. I would have bought one of ebay if it turned out I needed it. Some people on this site don't seem to have them enroll automatically. It seems Canadians have it easier but maybe that is just a coincidence.

Note you can train you wheels without the tool, by letting air out of the tires one at a time so it knows the location of each sensor. I tried this on my 2011 Edge and it works.

Edited by factor99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As great as the prices are from the TireStore, the cost of getting them up here negates any price advantage that I could possibly get. My local tire stores here like to baffle with babble so you don't really know where you stand

One store was telling me that you simply cannot get hub-centric rims in steel, and gave me the whole speech about why you would want it over a general multi fit rim that uses the lugs to center. Will set aluminum ones for $100 each.

The other store at the other end of town claims that their $60 steel rims are hub-centric but for some reason can't tell me a model number or who the manufacturer is. Not bestowing confidence.

The store in nearby Toronto has got better prices on the tires but admit that the steel rims are not hub-centric but will sell me an aluminum rim for far more than the local store that pretty much negates the savings on the tires.

There are two different tires that I am interested in. The michelin Xice and the Nokian Hak-somethingorother

from what I have read, the Nokian tire is the better one, but it's about $130 more when you take into account the $70 mail in rebate that you might get back from michelin. But I know from past experience with the way I drive, tires seem to last with me, so buying these winters along with the tires on the car, I probably will not need to buy tires again for the life of the vehicle. So, I could use the difference between the Michelin and Nokian towards the TPMS.. forgo the TPMS and get the better Nokian. Save the dollars and just get the Michelin's with no TPMS. Go for broke and get all the best.

Does the car go mad on the dash without the TPMS or is it just the (!) tire warning light on the dash? I am changing the tires myself so i'd have to handle the re-learn process myself.

I have never driven the nokians but a few people on another forum I trust said they were the best all around snow tire...not only did they perform great in all forms of slippery conditions but were also great when the roads were clear. So if it were me I would push the nokians.

As for the TPMS alarm...if you are like me it will drive you crazy. When you first turn on the Edge it will beep and a msg will be shown to the left of the dash along with an idiot light on the bottom of the cluster. You can clear the text msg on the left but not the idiot light. What drives me batty is that sometimes the idiot light flashes. So when I switch tires sensors will be going on. Check eBay, there are a few people selling four for about $60...well worth it.

I have looked on ebay and did see that there are some for sale. It is a bit more confusing as there seems to be two different styles, or maybe they are the same, but one comes with a valve stem and the other looks like a flat band. As I am not the one installing them, I am not sure how the tire center will react if I hand them a set and say use these. I do know that if I use theirs, then they are bound to support them and can't use the "oh, your problem is from..." line on me.

I guess it could just translate it into a beer equation. No beer for me for the next 2 months and that will cover the cost of adding in the TPMP from the tire center.

I always buy winter tires on rims for all my cars, being a bit higher up north and going to the ski hills quite a bit, they are a definite must. I bought winter tires on 17" steel wheel last year, 17" definitely fit ( I have an SEL) and I did not pay 100$ for my rims and I have used them for one winter with some long distance driving with no issues at all.

I also did not get the TPMS sensors, I personally do not mind the light in the dash that much, and decided not to pay the 60$ per wheel for them. The car will beep and give you a warning once in a while but you can ignore it without any problem.

A lot of people I know get tires from the states and then go pick them up at the border, they all claim significant savings. This may be an option for you if you live close to the border. I have done it a few times for other items and it is surprisingly simple.

I have looked on ebay and did see that there are some for sale. It is a bit more confusing as there seems to be two different styles, or maybe they are the same, but one comes with a valve stem and the other looks like a flat band. As I am not the one installing them, I am not sure how the tire center will react if I hand them a set and say use these. I do know that if I use theirs, then they are bound to support them and can't use the "oh, your problem is from..." line on me.

I guess it could just translate it into a beer equation. No beer for me for the next 2 months and that will cover the cost of adding in the TPMP from the tire center.

Since 2011 they have used the stem type TPMS, before that it was the band type. I believe they use different frequencies and can't be interchanged.

I don't think you should have problem getting them to use ebay sensors, if they insisted I buy theirs I would find another tire shop.

Edited by factor99

Well, I spent way too much time into trying to save a few dollars it seems. I contacted tirerack and went through all the alternatives to get tires for less and it worked out by the time I got complete wheels (rims + tires + tpms) converted back to CAD and covering the cost to pick them up from Niagara UPS store, was within $50 of just buying them here.

Then I was told about www.buffalonytires.com/ and they run specials for Canadians. The cost of the tire was clearly cheaper over there. The tires I was quoted for $209 cost $130, then the but's come into play. That was just the tire, and install/balance was an extra $15 per tire. The rim's were $120 + 15 for the hub alignment cone made out of plastic. TPMS was $49 each. But still need to convert that from USD to CAD as we are not at par. Again, the cost difference was at best $70 savings.

So I ended up just buying the Nokian Hak-R and was given a break on the tpms by the local garage who knocked off $75 from the total. I got aluminum rim with a proper metal hub alignment cone, fully installed for my $1700 all taxes in CAD. I am getting them on the 22nd so I have my new tires for when my relatives come over from the UK to visit.

• Like 1

Yeah,

that's why I said people claim they get significant savings, my experience has been the same after shopping around, the higher cost of installation/balancing offsets the saving in prices.

Now you've got one of the best winter tire on the market, all you have to do this winter is watch out for other drivers driving around on worn all-seasons, (keep an eye on your back mirror, because you will be able to stop faster than they will in bad conditions.)

• Like 1