Pics of my HID install

The 4300k will have plenty of blue tint to it. The colors are also effected by reflector types and shapes, and some manufacturers are able to 'prisim' the colors for certain efects. Infinity facets the reflectors so that they look blue from angles but white from the front. The Mustang reflector shape with the same temperature ends up being a lot less blue then the edges for some reason. When I get around to it, I'm switching to 4300k.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are these lights legal??

Ā 

Hi xtremedge808. :D I am only answering this question because you asked. I was not going to bring it up otherwise, so that people don't get themselves all worked up.

Ā 

No, these aftermarket kits are not legal for on road use in the United States. Absolutely no aftermarket, non-factory HID retrofit kits are legal for on road, United States use.

Ā 

If you read the disclaimers on any of these aftermarket manufacturer sites, they will all tell you that they are for off-road use only, and that they take no responsibility for misuse (read using it illegally on the road) of their product.

Ā 

I can link to several sites if necessary, so please everyone who wants to argue, look for yourselves first. Just check th FAQ sections of any of these Retailers for the answer to the question, "Are these light kits street legal?"

Ā 

For example, this cut and paste from the VVME site that "kevinb" linked to in post #11 (read the entire paragraph, they play a bit loose with the wording in the beginning):

Ā 

Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?

Ā 

Every country and jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. XENON H.I.D. lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT / E approved. Our kits are also made by the same OEM manufacturers that supply all the major car companies of the world. NO XENON H.I.D. lighting system available from any source is DOT / E approved if installed outside of the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

In the end, everyone is free to do as they like with their cars, and I am not telling anyone what to do. However, aftermarket kits are not street legal. Don't argue with the facts I present, argue with the law if you like (just trying to avoid a pointless Internet debate). :banghead:

Ā 

Like I previously stated, I would not have even entered this thread, if someone had not specifically asked for the correct information.

Ā 

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

The 4300k will have plenty of blue tint to it. The colors are also effected by reflector types and shapes, and some manufacturers are able to 'prisim' the colors for certain efects. Infinity facets the reflectors so that they look blue from angles but white from the front. The Mustang reflector shape with the same temperature ends up being a lot less blue then the edges for some reason. When I get around to it, I'm switching to 4300k.

Ā 

I gave this a LOT of thought... looked at photos, watched videos, scoured the web for topics like "4300k versus 6000K" and blah blah blah... lots o research...

Ā 

and in the end, I decided on the 6000k... here was my own personal reasoning, in basic terms:

Ā 

4300K puts out more light and brighter natural light than 6000k. time and time and time again I read and visually saw (photos and videos) with no real discernible blue tint. Whereas 6000k has a slight blue tint - noticeable also in photos and videos. now, either 4300k or 6000k blow the doors off standard factory lights, so no matter what, you get a massive increase in light output. so, in that sense, you are way ahead of the game whether you select 4300 or 6000k if greater light output is one of the goals. so, I took that aspect out of the equation as either way, I get way more light - like 3x - than a standard car halogen.

Ā 

So, then I went to the next goal I personally wanted to achieve, that 'euro' blue tint feel I happen to like. Yes, I know that most factory HID installs are closer to 4300k... but the 4300k I read time and time again was bright enough that it could be overly noticeable and attention causing (about 3100 lumens versus 2900 lumens respectively). As we know, the higher temp rating (k) the less actual lumen/light output. So, in my personal logic, 4300k may draw attention for it being just that much brighter while the 6000k was not so bright and it had the bluer tint I desired. Yes, it could bring attention for the bluer tint in the end... but, it was less light output than 4300k but much more than standard, so it met my goal. And yes, I read tons of threads and understand reflector types and shapes and what not and I am by no means a pro on this or care at that level of minutia and know the Edge is not even dialed in to do an HID kit relative to those aspects... so this is how I finally decided.

Ā 

And believe me, I spent a lot of time vacillating on this choice. hope it helps someone and just my personal opinion and in the end I could get them and reserve the right to change my mind, but I had to make a choice and this seemed a logical approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so what all of you are saying is that all I have to do is buy a set of these HID bulbs, open the box, take them out, then unplug my current factory bulbs off my Edge and then just take the new HID BULBS and just plug them into the same slots I just took my factory bulbs out of and everything should just work with no problem?

Edited by INTERAVE

Ok so what all of you are saying is that all I have to do is buy a set of these HID bulbs, open the box, take them out, then unplug my current factory bulbs off my Edge and then just take the new HID BULBS and just plug them into the same slots I just took my factory bulbs out of and everything should just work with no problem?

Ā 

close.... but not exactly..

Ā 

it is more like (and this is overly simplified and just gives high points).. take out your bulbs from the reflector, take the new kit which has bulbs AND ballasts AND cables/wires harness.... and then place the ballasts where you like, run the wires to each ballast, plug the harness that has the HID bulbs into the ballasts and put the new HID bulbs back into the reflectors.

Ā 

watch one of the videos above to see a basic install or search the web as there is a LOT about actual HID installing. claims seem to be 15-45 minutes to do depending on skill level and how nice you want to make the install (hiding and running wires and ballasts).

close.... but not exactly..

Ā 

it is more like (and this is overly simplified and just gives high points).. take out your bulbs from the reflector, take the new kit which has bulbs AND ballasts AND cables/wires harness.... and then place the ballasts where you like, run the wires to each ballast, plug the harness that has the HID bulbs into the ballasts and put the new HID bulbs back into the reflectors.

Ā 

watch one of the videos above to see a basic install or search the web as there is a LOT about actual HID installing. claims seem to be 15-45 minutes to do depending on skill level and how nice you want to make the install (hiding and running wires and ballasts).

Ā 

I am not sure if I asked you this question? Before installing my HID's does the DRL (day time running lights) have to be DEactivated? and if the answer is YES? WHY?

Ā 

thanks LEX, by the way how does a person just turn off the DRL's?

I am not sure if I asked you this question? Before installing my HID's does the DRL (day time running lights) have to be DEactivated? and if the answer is YES? WHY?

Ā 

thanks LEX, by the way how does a person just turn off the DRL's?

Ā 

YES - they must be turned off. NO you cannot do it yourself. You need to got the dealer to have it done. Hook it up to electronics and turn the function off in like 5 minutes. Search DRL here and you will see more details on how to get it turned on (and thus, off).

Ā 

As for why.... I am paraphrasing my understabding here simpistically... but I understand that the DRL function pulls the power for the DRL lights function at a very low level and this interferes with the correct digital ballast function at some level. (or something like that). Either way, it seems to have been established that the 2 key things it seems for HID for our cars: (1) turn off DRL and (2) use digital ballasts only. There are better mentions I think of why DRL interferes elsewhere on the boards, I just did not recall exactly if I have it right.

• 6 months later...

personally.. I am happy with how I did and I how it turned out now months later. Digital is only way to go, 35w works great for me, 5000k provides that perfect look & light output I liked, install is easy, price is good from Retroslutions.. hard to improve upon that.

Ā 

The only 'issue' is the odd jagged cutoff due to the Ford reflectors. NOT an issue enough I would undo it or not want it, put the only thing keeping it from being 'perfect' to me. I would do it again in a heart beat.

After reading all points and counter points, how about some feedback on the installs now. What you could have done better, should have bought, done did right, done did wrong etc.

Ā 

TiA

Ā 

Ron

Ā 

Ā 

I have 35w 6000k High and Low beam (If you live in AZ, you will understand why). The install for my HIDs was actually pretty nice because stock locations were used. The one thing I entertained changing is upping the ballast to 55w for the high beams but I am already getting blinked at from long distances with the 35w on rural roads.

• 4 months later...
Just uploaded some pics of my HID's. Enjoy

Ā 

Ā 

maybe it is just the picture but the one that shows the light on the road does not look like true HID, actually looks like the halogen tinted bulb lighting. True HID should have much side and straight ahead coverage than that. Generally McCullough is a great brand but again, maybe it is just the pic

• 6 months later...

I havn't been on in a while but we just got rid of our edge today. We did upgrade though! We just purchased a 2010 MKX with midnight limited edition, ultimate, elite packages. IT is sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Factory 22" wheels!!! HID kits are sitting on the table but I need to order the relay harness. Pics will be posted when I finish.