Pics of my HID install

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a 8000k McCulloch HID kit. I still have all of my other lights factory but plan to upgrade. If anyone likes these pics I have an extra kit for sale. Shoot me an email to bluv69k@adelphia.net

Ā 

Ā 

how intense is the install? and this eliminates high beams correct?

Not sure what HID is? Are they like Zenon headlights? My husband has them on his BMW and he loves them. They are so much whiter than the regular headlights. :wacko:

Ā 

HID = High Intensity Discharge. It refers to the color temperature of the light bulb. The higher the color temperature the more blue the light. HID lights are sometime referred to as Bi-Zenon. My Maxima came with 4300K (K= Kelvin) standard and they looked great because the optics were amazing in that car. I have 8000K in the Edge and they are very blue. I can see very well with the new lights and my husband refers to my Edge as a mini-Escalade as the headlights look very similar.

Edited by bluv69k

Not sure what HID is? Are they like Zenon headlights? My husband has them on his BMW and he loves them. They are so much whiter than the regular headlights. :wacko:

Ā 

Most luxury imports come with them standard and some domestic vehicles offer them as an option. They are not an option for the Edge and I get lots of looks of confusion with them.

Edited by bluv69k

how intense is the install? and this eliminates high beams correct?

Ā 

Send an email to the address above...my husband did the install and can better explain the installation process. It does not eliminate the high beams; they are still usable and unless you upgrade them to HID they will still be the OEM halogen (yellowish color).

Xenon simply refers to the gas used in the bulbs. Regular HIDs are only used for the low beams since they're on all the time. HIDs can't be switched on and off quickly so they're not suitable for high beams. Some mfrs have Bi-Xenon headlamps where it's one HID bulb with a reflector that gets moved back and forth to switch from low to high beams.

• 3 weeks later...

If I use them I am going with the VVME H11 kit in 6000k for more light output and less glare that still have healthy touch of blue. I've used two VVME bi-xennon kits in mustangs(as have hundreds of others) without every having a problem, the single element H11's are $60 for the kit. 4300K is OEM-spec and even brighter, pure white light. The whiter it is, the lest glare there is, 10000k for instance is completely obnoxious with very little light ouput.

Ā 

http://vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html

Edited by kevinb120

8k was just a choice for me. replacement bulbs can be purchased for this kit as well for around $60 for any color you perfer. I was going to do the fogs too, which is why I have an extra kit. Seems to be to much work though.

Ā 

Ā 

It starts to get to be a chore installing 4 ballasts :wacko:

Ā 

edit: the vvme kit is 60+30 shipping so its $90, I thought it sounded cheap as I had paid about $100 a year ago for the same kit.

Edited by kevinb120

• 3 weeks later...

Well I put the 6000k bulbs in. I had this in my 05-up Mustangs and they had a dramatic improvement. The edge's reflector and bulb cover does not equal the same improvement in lighting, but it is still much better then stock. The deep recess and heavily shielded edges of the reflector seem to keep it from bugging other drivers though. The sides are very effective reducing glare to other drivers. Although the blue tint to the 6000k is very cool, with the reflector not being as effective as the Mustang's, I would probably recommend 4300k.

Ā 

Only issue I had with the install is that the new bulb's tabs were a bit sharp and chipped a few pieces of the chrome off the inner edges of the bulb opening and into the headlight. I had to improvise a stick-um stick on a piece of wire and fish out a couple of the 'crumbs'... :wacko: No big deal though.

Ā 

I kept the fogs factory and really don't mind the look of the more yellow fogs with white/blue headlights. Most OEM's are like this and all the chrome around the lighting looks nice. Beam upper cut-off stays fairly low and does not light up people in their interiors-my headlights could actually use a touch of upward adjustment. So not as great a mod on the Edge as it was with my last car, but not much of nuisance and looks pretty darn good. One thing I have always liked about hids, is visibility by other drivers during daylight conditions, I run with lights on all the time from my 2-wheel days by habit, and even into the sun the HID's still make the car very visible to oncoming traffic.

Edited by kevinb120

I JUST PUT 5000K hid's in my edge..xentec is the brand..carries the same warranty as the mccollough. I love them and plan to do my high beams too. I had to run a relay to get power directly from the battery..hooked up normally they would not ignite. now its all done and the look great. I will take a picture of where I put my ballast..

I didn't need any relay for mine. :shrug: Works with autolamp and the perimeter lighting when you unlock the car at night. Two balasts, the harness' to each bulb, and the leads go directly into the factory bulb harness plug. The leads direct 12V power to the balasts as it would a light bulb, the balast turns on and directs the proper voltage to the HID bulb and on it comes... Easy as pie. .

Ā 

I wouldn't bother with HID's for the hi-beams, no OEM manufacturer does and the lower reflector is optimized for throwing the halogen lighting up and out without regard for glare, so it's more then adequate. Only the 2008 Mustang uses factory 'bi-xenon' via a moveable reflector plate. Everyone else uses halogen high-beams. Wouldn't bother with the fogs either....

Edited by kevinb120

• 2 weeks later...
If I use them I am going with the VVME H11 kit in 6000k for more light output and less glare that still have healthy touch of blue. I've used two VVME bi-xennon kits in mustangs(as have hundreds of others) without every having a problem, the single element H11's are $60 for the kit. 4300K is OEM-spec and even brighter, pure white light. The whiter it is, the lest glare there is, 10000k for instance is completely obnoxious with very little light ouput.

Ā 

http://vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html

Ā 

Ā 

this link drops you to a page with 2 choices: Single Baam Model and Bi-Xenon Model - which do you use as the explanations are the same... as well, they lists sizes H1/H3/H4-1/H4-2/H7/.. blah blah blah.. which of those do you select as well?

Ā 

thanks.

Mounting spots for the ballasts?. I had them on the side of the headlamp assembly with sticky stuff but they fell off due to the heat/water/dust. Does anybody have a better location?

Ā 

Ā 

Billy Mays swears mighty putty will hold those suckers in place :shades:

Ā 

https://www.mightyputty.com/

Edited by Lex Talionis