Suggestions wanted for stock MFT audio upgrade

I'm new to the Edge world, six months ago I didn't even know I wanted one!

I just bought a new SEL, and as many of you know, the factory audio is just barely adequate. I also bought a used '08 Mountaineer last spring, Premier trim level, and the Mountaineer audio blows the new Edge sound away. That just ain't right, so I gotta fix it.

I have My Ford Touch, (as did the Mountaineer, first generation before they called it MFT). I have no idea what the factory amp outputs, the gauge of the speaker wire, outputs, if any under the dash, and so on and so forth. Any help here would be appreciated.

I'd like to upgrade the audio without breaking the bank.

I'm thinking for starters Infinity Kappas for the fronts and Pioneer 2-ways for the back. I don't know if the stock amp has the power to drive them. I also like the idea of the sub in the small storage compartment in the back, but I don't want to spring for 700 bucks for JLs (or whatever it's named) which would also require a dedicated amp. If I did go with a sub, I'd probably set it at 4. I'm into rock, blues, and talk, so I'm not looking for big boom which can be heard for two blocks away. Just decent. clear, full-spectrum fidelity.

So if you know the factory audio specs and outputs, the speaker gauge wire, if you think I should add an amp, (I probably should) let me know what you would do to upgrade things. The speakers I've selected will only set me back around 150. A suitable amp will run about 100-150.

I have no idea where it should be mounted.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Okay, perhaps I should rephrase:

Does anyone know where I can find the specs and inputs/outputs of a non-SONY MFT 2014 audio system?

When I took delivery and a dealer associate was familiarizing me with MFT, he went to the BASS/TREB/MId settings in the audio screen. He bumped the bass and treble nearly full blast, and cut the mids at least 6db. He said many customers think that setting makes it sound like the premium SONY set up. All it showed me was how weak (thin) that the standard MFT audio system is. I later set everything back to flat.

I guess I'll swap out speakers first and see where that gets me.

I almost forgot, I found the JL Stealth sub for under 600.00. That still seems like a lot to me, but at least it is heading in the right direction.

I may not need it anyway, but it'd be nice to have. I'm pretty sure the Pioneers I am interested in will be pretty thumpy on their own, and with Infinity Kappas in the front it should be a good match. I'm not looking for boom.

Here goes my first post here. :) YAY!!

I just picked up a barely used 2013 Edge SEL with MFT and NAV and ran into the exact same problem you did. I immediately replaced the front and rear door speakers with JBL GTO8608C. The front tweeter placement was in the A Pillar where the Sony tweeter would have been located. I can honestly say that while it was an upgrade, the stock radio just has way to many "holes" within the audio and still distorts with heavy bass and moderate volume levels. Just replacing the stock speakers are not going to be enough.

From there, I did some research and found that the stock MFT sound system may be using specific sound alterations (boosts and cut to certain frequencies) in order to compensate for the crappy stock speakers. Seems like most manufacturers do this. Because of this, I purchased the JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep to completely and automatically flatten out the signal coming from the stock amp and feed it into a JBL GTO-5EZ 5 channel amp then out to the speakers. The JL CL441dsp has received great reviews so I see no reason why it wouldn't work with our Ford setup and should make everything sound MUCH BETTER. I haven't installed the JL CL441dsp or the JBL amp yet but once I do, I'll make sure to post the results here.

As for the sub, I too wanted to use the stock sub location used when you purchase the Edge Sony system. What I did was simply goto Ebay and purchase the stock sub enclosure which included the OEM sub ($120 shipped). From there I modified the enclosure to replace the stock 8" woofer with the JBL MS-10SD4 10" shallow mount subwoofer. That combo cost a total of $220 and should give me the low end I want without sacrificing any cargo space. The JL Stealth Sub is a great sub but there are really good and cheaper alternatives.

The JBL amp with my setup will be driving the front and rear speakers at 75w per channel @ 2ohms and the sub at 500w also at 2ohms. Lots of headroom to listen to all types of music at levels from low to very loud.

As far as installation goes, the JL CL441dsp and the JBL amp will be installed behind the rear cargo panels as well so nothing will be out in the open at all and will look completely stock.

I hope that this helps you. I'll post how everything sounds once installed.

Edited by ChuckNJ
  • Like 2

Do you have a part number for the oem enclosure?

BA1Z-18808-A OR BA1T-19A067-AA

Any of the OEM subs on sale on ebay (search: ford edge oem subwoofer) will fit the Edge or MKX even if they say 2007+ as they're all the same shape and have the same mounting points. Below are a couple I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-OEM-SPEAKER-SUBWOOFER-2011-2015-FORD-EDGE-LINCOLN-MKX-BA1Z-18808-A-/281476136178?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item418948fcf2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2014-Ford-Edge-Lincoln-MKX-Subwoofer-Enclosure-BA1T-19A067-AA-/151401958119?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item2340428ae7&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here goes my first post here. :) YAY!!

I just picked up a barely used 2013 Edge SEL with MFT and NAV and ran into the exact same problem you did. I immediately replaced the front and rear door speakers with JBL GTO8608C. The front tweeter placement was in the A Pillar where the Sony tweeter would have been located. I can honestly say that while it was an upgrade, the stock radio just has way to many "holes" within the audio and still distorts with heavy bass and moderate volume levels. Just replacing the stock speakers are not going to be enough.

From there, I did some research and found that the stock MFT sound system may be using specific sound alterations (boosts and cut to certain frequencies) in order to compensate for the crappy stock speakers.

I hope that this helps you. I'll post how everything sounds once installed.

Very cool, it looks like you are on the right path. I forgot about factory signal output equalizations being messed with. The CleanSweep looks like a must have addition.

When I picked up the Edge, the sales guy boosted the bass and cut the mids in the radio interface, and said 'doesn't it sound like a premium system?' - all he did was remind me how bad it really sounds.

Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to your updates!

@ChuckNJ Did you run new speaker wire to the door speakers or just use the factory ones? I know that the door molex is an absolute nightmare to run new wire thru as I learned from my Mariner. Thanks!

I tapped all speaker outputs in the cabin before the doors. It's the easiest way without having to take apart the door connectors. Really simple install once finished.

Very cool, it looks like you are on the right path. I forgot about factory signal output equalizations being messed with. The CleanSweep looks like a must have addition.

When I picked up the Edge, the sales guy boosted the bass and cut the mids in the radio interface, and said 'doesn't it sound like a premium system?' - all he did was remind me how bad it really sounds.

Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to your updates!

Thanks!! No updates yet as work has very busy at the moment which is a great thing. Once I have some time and the outside temp is above 60, I'll rip apart the interior and install the Cleansweep and JBL amp.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@ChuckNJ, would you mind sharing what you did to modify the stock box to fit that 10" sub in there? Did you have to reinforce anything with MDF and/or fiberglass? Did you use any poly-fil? Any dynamat (or equivalent)?

I've been contemplating doing this soon, I just haven't built up the courage to tear into anything. Any info would help.

On another note, I am very jealous of the setup you're going with. Maybe the wife will let me invest a little more in the future and I can attempt to go all out too.

Thanks.