Ford installed hitch

Just got my '08 Limited with towing package. My intent was to replace the 1 1/4 inch receiver with a 2 inch one. I assumed (don't do thet again) that I could unbolt Ford's and bolt on a new one with some minor trimming. I didn't know Ford would weld it on. I only occassionally tow a 2000 lb trailer so this set-up can do that but my accessories (bike rack, hitch basket, ...) are all 2 inch. Should I have the Ford hitch cut off and install the one I need OR just get a 1 1/4 to 2 adaptor for accessory use? Is cutting off the Ford hitch even an option?

Thoughts appreciated!

I plan on ordering a 2008 Edge Limited very soon and I too want a 2" receiver for the same reasons. I'll probably never tow more then my Craftsman garden tractor or maybe a golf cart, but I would like to use the 2" accessories like the platform, bike racks, etc. Would I be better off ordering without the tow package and install my own 2" receiver? What all comes with the tow package (besides the receiver).

I plan on ordering a 2008 Edge Limited very soon and I too want a 2" receiver for the same reasons. I'll probably never tow more then my Craftsman garden tractor or maybe a golf cart, but I would like to use the 2" accessories like the platform, bike racks, etc. Would I be better off ordering without the tow package and install my own 2" receiver? What all comes with the tow package (besides the receiver).

If I remember correctly, towing package includes a larger radiator, extra or bigger cooling fan, larger battery, wiring harness, & hitch. I don't remember if anything changes for the transmission cooling.

Much easier to use the adapter. Here is a link to Northern Tool. Cost is only $30.00 and takes seconds to add and still allows you to use 1 1/4 hitch.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...efault-_-330688

Marv

This is probably my best option. Looked around today and there are several styles that may work. I just need to make sure my accessories can insert far enough for pin hole alignment. I now got something to do this weekend.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, towing package includes a larger radiator, extra or bigger cooling fan, larger battery, wiring harness, & hitch. I don't remember if anything changes for the transmission cooling.

I found it:

Class II Trailer Tow Package: Class II receiver hitch, engine oil cooler, larger radiator, upgraded battery and cooling fans, wiring harness and 4-pin connector

Sounds like it's well worth the money, even if it is only an 1-1/4" receiver...

Aftermarket may mean you also have to cut a hole at the bottom of the rear bumper. Best to go to a place and have them place one on the vehicle and see if that has to be done. Hopefully they can cut it and it ends up looking nice.

I have an aftermarket and all that had to be cut was a shield between the muffler and floor pan for the hitch mounting flange. It sits below the factory bumper, so it's actually lower than the factory installed hitch. There's a pic in my gallery that shows it. All the other stuff would be nice, but...this one didn't have it already.

I have an aftermarket and all that had to be cut was a shield between the muffler and floor pan for the hitch mounting flange. It sits below the factory bumper, so it's actually lower than the factory installed hitch. There's a pic in my gallery that shows it. All the other stuff would be nice, but...this one didn't have it already.

Do you have the 2" receiver? Did yours come with the factory receiver?

What make and model is this 'aftermarket'?? Hidden Hitch, Drawtight, Putnam????

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Correct hitch is made by Curt.

Part # CU-13060 Also they have a chart for picking the applicable unit at Curt Site

I bought it today for $140 at Direct Buy Link

The site is RealTruck.com

I have bought Hidden-Hitch products in the past and their fit and finish, such as paint, is horrendous in comparrison to Curt.

I believe Curt makes Hidden-Hitch, but they ship to them unfinsihed. The Hidden-Hitch from eTrailer sucked. The Curt products that I bought for other vehicles were top of the line. I ordered this one for our 07' Edge based on past Curt experience.

Edited by CliffsEdge

The installer I used sells Curt as well as Draw Tite. When I had it installed, Draw Tite was the only manufacturer that had an option. As a matter of fact, I had to wait another 2 weeks for a wiring harness from Draw Tite as there were no aftermarket harnesses either.

When I called the Ford dealer about having them install it, they even said there were no harnesses and they would have to "manually" wire it since I didn't have the tow package.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have it, use the one that came on the car.

All the bike racks, accessories and hitches you could possibly use on the car can be purchased to fit the smaller hole. If all you use is a bike rack, get a new one. If you just bought a new car you can afford a new rack!

If you already have a collection of accessories, get an adapter.

• 4 weeks later...