Detailed Tow hitch/ Hitch receiver info for Ford Edge

I've got a 2008 Edge with the factory tow package and I've been looking to upgrade to a class III as well.

It looks like you could have saved yourself some money by not having the shop cut off the factory Class II hitch. According to Curt's website, the 13060 will fit beneath the OE 1.25" receiver. Your pictures seem to back this up as well. I haven't had a chance to really look underneath the rear of the car to see if this is possible though.

I'm planning on getting a class III hithch because I'm going to be using a weight distributing system on my trailer and they all need a Class III receiver. From what I've seen here, the Curt seems to have the best quality. I think I'm going to try installing it without removing the factory hitch and see what it looks like, or if it's even possible.

I'm also goingot be installing a brake controller this weekend. I'll be sure to take pictures along the way and post a how-to when i'm done (assuming I don't run into any problems :) )

Any update on installing the Class III hitch and a weight distributing system on your Ford Edge? I am doing the same this week and am curious about how it works and pulls. How much weight are you pulling?

Edited by rpeterslll

• 3 years later...

If a class II hitch is rated for 3500 lbs why would one need to go to class III if their trailer is 2700 lbs? I know the hitch looks whimpy but if I keep the weight below 3500 lbs shouldn't it be fine? I know I'm replying to old posts but anyones thoughts are welcome?

After further research I see the need. Just measured the tongue weight of my Casita 17' SD at 326 lbs. That's with full propane and half a tank of water. Emprty gray and black water. I assume a full water tank would decrease the tongue weight a bit. I can see that I would easily exceed the tongue weight when outfited for travel. :-(

Edited by bobinhouston

• 5 months later...

Have a 2014 Ford Edge Sport.

Want the least visible hitch for it and ordered a hidden-hitch (4 months ago)

Sport requires a different hitch then the regular Edge and that seems to be the problem

No one seems to have a hitch for the Sport that is available and meets my criteria of being barely visible.

Will be towing a uhaul in November...any suggestions

The Curt is too visible with a bar visible under the bumper

I have a Hitch for my Edge and all that shows is the box reciever and the power outlet. I installed it myself and it wasn't too bad to do. You will have to drop the muffler off the holders and trim some of the heat shields. Curt makes a special hitch for the sport that is about 1 inch lower than mine. I would recommend it because it is low profile and looks stock.

• Like 1

I have a Hitch for my Edge and all that shows is the box reciever and the power outlet. I installed it myself and it wasn't too bad to do. You will have to drop the muffler off the holders and trim some of the heat shields. Curt makes a special hitch for the sport that is about 1 inch lower than mine. I would recommend it because it is low profile and looks stock.

Thats what I want to avoid...the 1 inch drop that you mention that lets the hitch frame be visible