THROTTLE BODY

thefarmsgirl

my edge has less than 50k miles on it and the throttle body needs to be replaced,but the dealer won't do it because it's not on a recall list. After much research, i know I'm not the only one. Before this,i had a Taurus. I love my Ford cars,but this problem is infuriating me. Hubby spoke to Ford customer service send got a case number. He was almost t-boned in an intersection when the edge turned off. I also see that these throttle bodies are on back order due to this very problem. I want to know why this problem isn't listed as a recall.

If you almost get hit because your vehicle stalls then you aren't driving safely to begin with. Cars stall every day for lots of reasons.

If you are saying they are driving unsafely because they know the car stalls out, then I agree with you.

You can only drive safely when your car is operating properly. If the engine stalls while driving, yes I believe you could be in an accident depending on the circumstances and I also believe you were driving an unsafe vehicle.

For the original poster, if you or someone you know are mechanically inclined, the throttle body can be changed very easily. Other owners on here have purchased the part from Ford dealers, or other sources, such as Rock Auto.com I believe the part can be found for under $150.00 and changed out very quickly and easily.

If you are saying they are driving unsafely because they know the car stalls out, then I agree with you.

You can only drive safely when your car is operating properly. If the engine stalls while driving, yes I believe you could be in an accident depending on the circumstances and I also believe you were driving an unsafe vehicle.

If you turn left in front of an oncoming vehicle and almost get t-boned when it stalls then you were cutting it way too close to begin with. You have to anticipate a malfunction - cars stall all the time - bad gas, transmission, etc not just TB. That's why NHTSA doesn't consider it a recall able problem.

I do think ford should extend the warranty but that doesn't stop you from fixing it yourself.

For the original poster, if you or someone you know are mechanically inclined, the throttle body can be changed very easily. Other owners on here have purchased the part from Ford dealers, or other sources, such as Rock Auto.com I believe the part can be found for under $150.00 and changed out very quickly and easily.

This. You can fix it with the new TB for less than $150 and 15 minutes. If it's truly a safety concern then fix it - don't wait for Ford to extend the warranty or do a recall.

I think "this is really dangerous" is just code words for "I want ford to pay for it".

If you turn left in front of an oncoming vehicle and almost get t-boned when it stalls then you were cutting it way too close to begin with. You have to anticipate a malfunction - cars stall all the time - bad gas, transmission, etc not just TB. That's why NHTSA doesn't consider it a recall able problem.

A. That's assuming perfect circumstances, which are becoming rarer every day. God forbid the weather be too sunny, rainy, windy, snowy ...

B. There are two partners in a collision. Will the other person be observant and brake in time to help minimize the effect of an impending collision? Will the other vehicle have sufficient braking power and road grip to effect the driver's intentions?

C. Maybe the only time the vehicle stalls will be the time the driver is killed. Try reversing that situation.

Mechanical problems often give you time to correct, as they show symptoms over time. Fly-by-wire systems, not so much.

Time to make it mandatory for Edge drivers to have a competent lawyer on retainer, update your last will & testament, and name your life insurance beneficiaries?