Vista rook opens to vent on its own

I have a 2011 edge and just noticed that the vista roof will open to the vent position after it has been parked for a couple hours. This has happened about ten times of the past month. It happens irregularly. II do not have the window or vent package like the mix where you hold the lock button down. Dealership doesn't get any flags when it's run through the computer.

This isn't a normal feature but are you planning on trying to fix this yourself? Do you have any electrical background or plan on pulling things apart yourself? If you need to keep this from happening like if it is going to be raining, try removing fuse F8 from your Battery Junction box. I believe this will disable the roof from opening.

FYI, the switches provide a ground signal to the Roof Opening Panel Motor Assembly. Normally the key needs to be in the ACC or Run position for the roof to function. The fuse F8 provides a Hot at all times feed to this assembly so the issue may be within this assembly itself.

• Like 1

I would bet that they are going to replace the Roof Opening Panel Motor Assembly. As I pointed out, for the roof to open the key normally needs to be in the ACC or Run position. The switches just provide a ground signal for which operation you are doing. The BCM is what provides the additional power feed to this assembly when the key is on. Assuming the BCM isn't providing the assembly power when the key is off and further assuming there isn't a short providing a ground for the Tilt function, the only way the motor can be getting power is from the Hot at all times feed from fuse #8. So I am guessing that power is being feed from the Hot at all times feed and activating the motor occasionally as you are seeing. Something like water intrusion and or corrosion build up or something like that maybe.

Two things need to happen for the roof to open, power supplied to the Roof Opening Panel Motor Assembly and a ground signal to the assembly for the tilt function. So a short in the switches wouldn't do anything without the power source. Key off should not be providing power. Power to the assembly but no ground signal to activate the tilt also doesn't do anything. So the common part is the Roof Opening Panel Motor Assembly having an internal issue.

Now time will tell if my thinking is right here. :)