New owner question?

carguy75

Hi everyone.

I am the new owner of a loaded Black 2011 Ford Edge SEL AWD.

It only has 22000 miles of the clock and seems like a decent used car so far.

However, I have noticed a couple things about it after a close inspection recently.

For one, it drips black oily like fluid near the belts that leaves stains on my garage floor, and has oil residue on the engine block on the upper rear of the transmission.

Two, the power-steering fluid reservoir was very low on fluid(about an inch below the low mark).

Is the 2011 Ford Edge a reliable car to own for the long term or any year Ford Edge?

What do you high mileage owners think or have experience dealing with when it comes to this particular car?

So far it looks like I may be putting my mechanic skills to use after my Ford power-train and extended 36 month comprehensive bumper-to-bumper warranty expires. :(

P.S. The only ever Ford car I have owned was an 2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD, which was trouble free until I sold it when it hit 100k miles due it having the discontinued CVT transmission( I only had to change the spark plugs,oil,and brake pads during my ownership).

Edited by carguy75

Sounds like you have a power steering leak. Should be an easy fix with a new hose or pump.

Hopefully it's not the PTU. If it is then it should be covered by the powertrain warranty.

Outside of the PTU long term reliability should be fine.

Thank you.

Good to know, because my wife really likes this car. :)

I guessed that it could be one of the two problems or maybe even both.

I have an service appt. with Ford next week so I will get the specifics on what the problem is at that time.

Edited by carguy75

• 1 month later...

The leak turned out to be from a leaking o-ring in a transmission cooler hose.

The Ford service department replaced the hose as well as the transmission cooler unit due to it having a leak as well, so problem solved.

It turned out to be a $1500 dollar job, so thank you zero deductable extended warranty.:)

My advice would be for anyone looking at a used 2011 Ford Edge would be to place a newpaper or cardboard under the car you test drive near the radiator/front bumper and let it sit there while you talk to the salesperson and look for an drips, because these leaks can be very small and hard to spot until it is too late.

Back to lurk mode.:)

• Like 1