Ford factory alarm, OR aftermarket ?

In December of 14 I bought a 2013 Edge limited. The dealer said it had a dealer installed alarm and wanted $799. to keep it in there. I said no way. After doing a lot of reading on here, I looked under the dash and found 4 plugs with wires wrapped in electrical tape, the plugs had numbers on them. I called my salesman and asked him about those. he told me that they were from the alarm that the dealers put in there to protect the vehicles from getting stolen off the lot. He also said that the limited should come with the factory alarm. So I tried by sitting inside and activating the key fob to lock the doors. Then I opened the door and nothing happened. Then I put the key in the ignition and started it up. To me that shows NO alarm. I talked to customer service and finally after a couple calls he told me that they could reinstall the dealer alarm for $299. and program my Ford keys to work it. I asked him what kind it was and he told me Audiovox. I did some research and found out which one it was by the plugs. I can buy it on Amazon for around $60.

So do you guys think I should ( which is better ) go with the Audiovox or buy the factory Ford alarm, ( Because I want to also install the Ford remote start ) or get a Code alarm ( I already have one in my Suburban and GN that I like )

Sorry for the long post and I have been coming to this site since I bought my edge and already installed LED interior lights. V-LEDs tail light, brake lights bulbs and Really bright reverse lights and replaced the factory LED DRL with after market ones from iJDM-TOY (n They are 5 times as bright )

Thanks in advance for your help

Tarey

From what I remember, only the Edge with push button engine start has the factory alarm. As for which to go with, especially if your considering remote start, is to with Ford's. They are easily installed and we'll integrated to the vehicle's system (using the OBD 2 connection).

Try a different test. Roll down the driver's window, get out of the car and lock it using the remote. Wait at least 20 seconds (very important as the alarm does not arm immediately). Now reach into the car through the window and open the door using the inside handle. The alarm should trigger, flashing the lights and sounding the horn.

As was stated earlier, stick with the factory Ford alarm. You found out that the dealer installs the cheapest alarm they can, and then try to maximize profit by charging almost $800.00 for that alarm initially! Stay with Ford electronics in my opinion.

Here is an excellent discussion regarding adding the different Ford alarms and remote start.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17035-adding-oem-remote-start-kits-parts-explained-detailed-2011/

Thanks for the help,

I ordered the Ford security system and the remote start system, plus the hood switch and the cable for it from Gieser Ford. They had the lowest prices and even beat some of tascas prices that I gave them to match, plus FREE shipping. I am sure I will have questions when it gets here and I install it.

Thanks again

Tarey