After Market hitch versus their pricy tow package

Lex Talionis

So, when considering the Edge, a Vista roof is a MUST for me. but, this means no bike racks and I race bikes so travel a lot with them. this means, the only real viable option is a hitch mount bike rack system. So, I have seen after market hitches for about $150 and I am very mechanically inclined so could mount myself no problem as their 'tow package' is pricey and comes with other items like oil cooler and larger radiator I do not need to carry bike racks.

so, (1) anyone else put on their own hitch and (2) do you have photos and (3) how did it interfere with the rear body/bumper - did you have to alter/cut that at all?

This is a little off topic and I'll probably be damned for suggesting this here, but have you looked at the Honda Pilot? I considered one of those because there is an option for interior bike mounting. You have to fold the rear seats down and then pop the front wheel off of your bike. The bike's front arms then "plug" into floor intalled mounts. Two adult bikes can be transported this way.

If it hadn't been for the Vista roof, I would have picked the Pilot for that reason. :yup: