Limited Acceleration Problem

granto2014

I recently started having an issue where there is no acceleration after reaching about 125-128 km/hr in my 2011 Edge Limited. The best way to describe it is a feeling that the vehicle is governed. Its not very often I drive at this speed but when traffic is moving... traffic is moving.

When I took it to the dealership they said I need a new battery which has still not registered as to how this can be. Took it to another mechanic and he says battery is very good.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I don't want to buy a battery and find out there is still the same problem and be stuck with an extra battery.

I would first check the air filter to make sure there are no restrictions. Dirty, clogged, bird or mouse nest, etc.

Years ago when I was selling Chevrolets, a customer took a test drive with one of our brand new half ton pick-ups. The truck was sitting on the lot for maybe 3 weeks. We could not accelerate over 50 MPH!

Got back to the dealership and had a mechanic look at it. A bird had built a nest in the intake snorkel and it blocked air flow into the engine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2011 Ford Edge with 260000 miles on it a few months ago 3 days after driving it we took it back to the service department and they told us that but it needed to learn are driving patterns so to drive a little longer we drove it for 8 days still doing it or you take off at a red light or a rolling stop and it won't go and then all the sudden it will we were at an intersection and went to take off in between two cars it decided to do it again and we almost got hit by a semi truck took it back to the shop they could not find anything wrong with it after having it for days so we drove it again a week later we took it back to the service department they kept it for a week said they changed two sensors and it should be fine we drove it another week still stalling at intersections when you take off still stalling when you go to pass in front of a car is very dangerous took it back to the service department they have had it a week and a half now still saying that nothing is wrong with it that they can't find anything now they've asked us to come up there and drive it for them because they can't find anything wrong with it we'll see how this goes today

Ujune0000 is it accelerating or stalling? Forgive me but I'm new to the forum but I wanted to read up on my Edge, it just started having issues with it. It has started stalling at a stop. It'll start right back up again but seems like it struggles staying running at an idle in gear. The check engine light came on, checked the codes, it was throwing a Bank2 sensor1 code. Changed the plugs and changed the sensor.....light came back on and it continues to stall. Not every time I stop but often.....

Any input is appreciated!!

• 8 years later...
On 3/16/2015 at 10:32 AM, granto2014 said:

I'm a mechanic and recently worked on my friends 2011 edge that was having all of the throttle problems listed above. No check engine light. On slow steady acceleration the throttle would stick at 25 mph or 45mph. The pedal itself moved fine but no acceleration and if i slowly pressed down i could get the pedal to full throttle and speed would not increase and sometimes slow down a bit. When acceleration stopped i noticed letting off the throttle then then pressing down to half throttle would re-engage acceleration. During one test drive i noticed when acceleration stopped my left foot caught the back of the brake pedal and suddenly acceleration resumed. Right foot never moved i just raised the brake pedal about one millimeter till it bottomed out the brake light switch. When parked i checked the brake pedal and switch and sure enough the pedal had about a millimeter of space to wiggle the switch and sometimes that would cause the brake lights to activate while driving and disengage the park neutral safety switch on the shifter while parked, brake lights would also be on. Everytime the throttle stopped working properly i could lift the pedal and resume acceleration. No adjustment available at the brake switch so i replaced it and now no more acceleration issues. Before replacing it i tried putting a vacuum line plug from a carburetor on the end of the brake switch button and it helped take up the gap and keep the switch closed, it also allowed normal acceleration to resume. Im guessing there is a glitch in the ecm circuit between the throttle, brake and cruise control. Its the only system that cuts throttle signal when the brake is applied. 

Also fixed the sinking brake pedal with no abs or check engine light, on this same car by replacing the abs actuator and installing the original abs module on the new actuator. Quick recap there is a low pressure reserve valve that sticks open that drops line pressure from 75 bar to 15 bar within 3-4 seconds of applying brakes. With the Master cylinder ports plugged the pedal would not move, meaning it held pressure fine. Manual brake bleeding looked normal with plenty of fluid pressure when the brake caliper valves were cracked and cycling the abs valves multiple times did not change line pressure issue. So the only other option was an internal fault in the abs actuator (the aluminum part with all the brake lines going in and out of it) next to the brake master cylinder. I will add this info with more description of the repair to the sinking brake pedal post on this site. 

• Thanks 1