2007 Edge, bangs hard into gear and more

bolsonic

Any help here is appreciated. 2007 Edge, 90k, dealer replaced the transmission shortly after being purchased new. Truck was my parents and I bought it maybe 4 years back. I came out to the truck, started it and it banged hard into drive. I had the pedal to the floor and it moved at a snails pace. There are no lights on the dash from what I can tell and the speedometer doesnt register anything at all when crawling down the road. Anyone here ever have a problem like this?

Did turning the Edge off, then restarting it make any difference after you experienced this problem? Was it a one-time thing or is it repeatable?

First thing I'd do is pull codes to see what the PCM sees. Check trans fluid level also to see if it's low/burnt/dirty, and check for external leaks, especially around the PTU if yours is AWD.

Lights or no lights, the next most likely possibilities are:

Transmission Range Sensor

Broken Orifice Cup

Valve Body

TSS/OSS sensors (may or may not set a code)

Very similar issue I had when the Rear output speed sensor failed. I would aim for that as it sounds Identical to the issue I had. Plus these sensors are a known failure.

Did turning the Edge off, then restarting it make any difference after you experienced this problem? Was it a one-time thing or is it repeatable?

First thing I'd do is pull codes to see what the PCM sees. Check trans fluid level also to see if it's low/burnt/dirty, and check for external leaks, especially around the PTU if yours is AWD.

Lights or no lights, the next most likely possibilities are:

Transmission Range Sensor

Broken Orifice Cup

Valve Body

TSS/OSS sensors (may or may not set a code)

Its everytime. No starting and shutting off doesnt make a bit of difference. I will run the big dog scanner tomorrow and see if there are any codes, if there are no codes is it safe to say the tranny is fukt? What are those sensors called that ill be ordering? Transmission removal needed to change them? I have the truck at a friends now who is a 20 plus year mechanic. He doesnt work directly for a dealer but any of the work needs doing he is more than capable. We both have access to alldata and such if we have to pull it up. IIf anyone on the forum ever needs anything from alldata id be glad to email or fax any documents. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Turbine Shaft Speed and Ouput Shaft Speed sensors. You'll also have to put in a new solenoid body filter assembly as part of the process. And no, you don't have to drop the trans to do the work, but you will be disconnecting a lot of trans-related lines and draining/refilling the fluid. Best to have a lift available, at the very least you will need a good set of jackstands.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

I agree the tranny is in good condition. I have not heard too much at all bout the physical condition of the Edge transmissions. The only reason you would need to replace the tranny is if you go out Canyon running like WWW. The Out put sensor alone for Ford to replace it for me was nearly 800 dollars. So you will be saving $$$$ by going DIY. I have said before if I knew back then what I know now I would have fixed it myself.

Turbine Shaft Speed and Ouput Shaft Speed sensors. You'll also have to put in a new solenoid body filter assembly as part of the process. And no, you don't have to drop the trans to do the work, but you will be disconnecting a lot of trans-related lines and draining/refilling the fluid. Best to have a lift available, at the very least you will need a good set of jackstands.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1