I bought a CPO 2012 Edge SEL 3.5L with 43k miles on it.. Test drove okay. It was well kept and with 285hp i thought a it would be a good vehicle for my needs.. But i wasn't impressed with performance initially. One day, looking under the hood i noticed oil residue under the air intake going into the Throttle body (TB). I grabbed the rubber intake and lots of oil went to my hands, so i decided to take the rubber intake off the TB... Looked inside and there was a puddle of oil sitting in the TB opening!! Wow. Not an engine tech, but i was pretty sure these are 2-cycle engines and that oil in the TB meant i was burning oil... So i took the car back to the dealer and they found a "Service Bulletin" that said the baffle in the valve cover where the PCV system hose connects going from the valve cover to TB was mis-designed, allowing oil to make it into the TB and combustion chamber!! 2 days later, a new valve cover under warranty, and this Edge drives so much better!!!

Not sure what years, but check your Throttle Body!! Its an easy fix even if you have to do it your self or pay for it....

• Like 2

Good info, any idea which TSB they referred to for these 4-cycle engines? Pretty early to have the disorder...

Was it this one?

• Date Reported JANUARY 01, 2014
  • NHTSA Reference #10055042
  • TSB Reference #ASI-44354

Description: FORD/LINCOLN: AN ACCUMULATION OF OIL, IN LEFT HAND VALVE COVER BAFFLE, MIGRATING THROUGH FRESH AIR INTAKE OF POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) SYSTEM, MAY HAVE ENGINE OIL IN INTAKE AIR SYSTEM COMPONENTS. MODEL 2011-2013 EDGE, EXPLORER

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This reminds me, thanks @WWWPerfA_ZN0W & @george3359, I got the head cover replaced, under the standard bumper to bumper warranty since my MKX was still under it, at the time.

@Tom Maiello, it is definitely covered under the basic bumper to bumper warranty, but I believe that also the extended drivetrain should cover it since "Valve Covers" is mentioned under the Engine components covered by it.

• Like 1