My 2011 Ford Edge Smells Like Propane

kstroupe

My 2011 Ford Edge has a propane smell in the cabin after it is driven for awhile. I took it to my friendly local Ford Dealer in Reno, Nevada - Jones West Ford. They advised me they could not smell it and recommended an air fresher. The very helpful service person also suggested that since I had googled the issue that maybe I was imagining it based upon what I had read. I was super happy I got to pay them $110 for this great advice.

Has anyone encountered this issue? If so any thoughts beyond the very deep thoughts already offered by my local ford dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin Stroupe

Reno, Nevada

If by "propane" smell you mean something similar to rotten egg smell, it could by catalytic converter related. Many cars will produce that smell during the first couple of hundred miles and then it will disappear only to return if the catalyst gets damaged. There are several causes but the most common are gasoline additives (snake oil) or if someone found a way to get leaded fuel in the tank or overheating the converter.

• 4 weeks later...

If by "propane" smell you mean something similar to rotten egg smell, it could by catalytic converter related. Many cars will produce that smell during the first couple of hundred miles and then it will disappear only to return if the catalyst gets damaged. There are several causes but the most common are gasoline additives (snake oil) or if someone found a way to get leaded fuel in the tank or overheating the converter.

It is a 2011 Edge so I think it has more than "the first couple of hundred miles". Yes, it sounds like a catalytic problem. In my opinion, pre-cat.

• 2 months later...

I have this problem too on my 2011 edge AWD. It's not a rotten egg smell but very close to propane. I had this exact smell on my 2009 Chevy traverse AWD in which there was a tsb in which the smell was coming from the transmisson transfer case venting and the smell entering the cabin. I'm wondering if this is the same issue.