HELP with OD!!!

donnaraeb

Hi

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge SEL. Saturday when in D (drive) I hit the +/- button on the side of the shifter. Seemed after that they car runs differently. It takes longer to shift up when under 40 mph and when I let off the gas it slows down faster then I seem to remember. Now, I have only had this car 2 weeks so maybe I am insane! I have read the manual and have NO idea if it has OD and if so how that would be turned on or off but when I called the dealer they said it sounded like it was in OD. They said the +/- on the shift will only work when in M (MANUAL) so me hitting that button when in D, they assure me did nothing. How do I know if it is in OD? Manual states nothing about where an OD button would be. I have a 30 day full warranty and don't want to miss help but don't want to waste time in a service department if it's me being silly and imagining a change.

What you're describing sounds like "D (Drive) with Grade Assist" explained in the owners manual. This is supposed to be in SE models that don't have select shift (+/-) transmission.

Do the +/- buttons work normally in "M"? Transmission shifts manually?

Those buttons have no function when the car is in "Drive" and there is no OD feature.

The shifting issues may just be coincidental with you touching the buttons.

I've owned the SEL for about 3 years and I've noticed the shifting is not the best. Sometimes it will hesitate when shifting especially when being light on the gas pedal.

One feature the car does have, and this is stated in the manual is when you take your foot off the pedal, the car will "aggressively" cut fuel flow to the engine for economy purposes. As you slow down the car will also downshift.

Edited by mcali6301

There is a noticeable difference in (coasting) between the 2008 I used to drive and the 2011 I am now driving. The 2008 used to coast freely and actually increase speed down hills or grades when I let off the gas. The 2011 will maintain speed or actually feel like it has the brakes on. I have grown accustomed to the 2011 and how it shifts, but noticed it has a much different shift pattern than the 2008 SE. The 2011 seems to want to hang onto the gear a lot longer and requires more gas pedal to force the shift down to the next gear to accelerate. On the other side of the coin I also notice the 2011 does not downshift as much when at high speed going up hills and hangs onto the gear much longer or never shifts as much as the 2008 did when I was driving it. This somehow translates into the better fuel mileage I am also getting out of the 2011 when compared to the 2008.

• Like 1