my 2015 edge sport gonna try something

sideswipe

For the first fewfew thousand miles im gonna

Run straight fuel with no ethanol. I

Wanna see if it makes a difference using

It for fuel economy. I would also like to

Know how it does for its break in period.

What do you guys think of this? I haven't

Heard of anyone ever trying it. I will keep

You guys updated on fuel economy. I

Have the awd sport blue edge. I have

13 miles on my edge.

Edited by sideswipe

For the first fewfew thousand miles im gonna

Run straight fuel with no ethanol. I

Wanna see if it makes a difference using

It for fuel economy. I would also like to

Know how it does for its break in period.

What do you guys think of this? I haven't

Heard of anyone ever trying it. I will keep

You guys updated on fuel economy. I

Have the awd sport blue edge. I have

13 miles on my edge.

Ethanol decreases mileage. But if you are using E10 gas, you probably won't notice a difference outside of a lab. E85 decreases mileage 10-20%.

Good to try, but seems like most places it's really hard to find straight gas. I know of just 1 or 2 places in the Seattle area, and I think those are commercial truck stations that take a membership/card.

-SJ

Some states are better at it than others. For example, In Iowa, I know 87 and 91/93/95 octane have no ethanol. Only 89 octane has ethanol. It's funny too because Iowa grows a lot of corn, you'd think that the corn lobbyists would've gotten a law passed requiring an ethanol blend in all fuels.

Edited by cab2g

The price of E85 is usually lower than gasoline (don't know if subsidized or not), which brings the real world cost per mile to par with straight gasoline.

Ohhhh ethanol is HEAVILY subsidized, and required by the gov't. Roughly a Third of the US corn crop is used to oxigenate our gas supply and stretch it a few percent. That's why hamburger costs $5.00/# now!

Think our operators manuals said not to use E85 in our Edges.

Some states are better at it than others. For example, In Iowa, I know 87 and 91/93/95 octane have no ethanol. Only 89 octane has ethanol. It's funny too because Iowa grows a lot of corn, you'd think that the corn lobbyists would've gotten a law passed requiring an ethanol blend in all fuels.

Not sure where you've bought gas in Iowa, but every station I've been to might have one pump with straight gas but no guarantees, and it will most likely be 85 octane so when mixed w/10% ethanol will be a cheap 87 octane. If the straight gas is 87 octane, then they'll sell an 89 octane E10 premium grade for a premium price. Highest octane I've seen in Iowa for decades is 91 octane which is always E10.

I get down to the Quad-cities about once a month. It's amazing how much the gas business changes driving across the bridges from Moline/Rock Island over to Davenport/Bettendorf.

Good to try, but seems like most places it's really hard to find straight gas. I know of just 1 or 2 places in the Seattle area, and I think those are commercial truck stations that take a membership/card.

-SJ

Cenex in Issaquah by I90 motorsports has ethanol free gas FYI.

Edited by jalm111

The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than pure gasoline, although this varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added to the ethanol. Therefore, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by up to 3.3% when using E10.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=27&t=4

So you probably will not notice much significant difference in mpg between E-10 and straight regular, 3% of 20 mpg is 0.6 mpg, not much. Is there a price difference between E-10 and regular?

E-85, on the other hand, is a gas mileage killer. You would have to buy it at a 25% to 30% discount, or more, over E-10, just to break even.

Not sure where you've bought gas in Iowa, but every station I've been to might have one pump with straight gas but no guarantees, and it will most likely be 85 octane so when mixed w/10% ethanol will be a cheap 87 octane. If the straight gas is 87 octane, then they'll sell an 89 octane E10 premium grade for a premium price. Highest octane I've seen in Iowa for decades is 91 octane which is always E10.

I get down to the Quad-cities about once a month. It's amazing how much the gas business changes driving across the bridges from Moline/Rock Island over to Davenport/Bettendorf.

The quad cities in IA may have similar mixes to whats in IL since it's just a bridge away from the IL side. But I know in the interior part of the state, only 89 octane has Ethanol, and it's actually the cheapest to buy. 87 is sold at the price of the mid grade. I think this is because Ethanol is subsidized. When I lived there I was able to find 93 at some stations, but it definitely varied by the station.