Installing new calipers on 2011 Edge with ABS.

So I've got a pair of new calipers that I've cleaned up and painted and I'm ready to install them.

For all the years I've been doing this I've not owned a vehicle that has more technology and computer controlled systems as the Edge has. I was simply going to change them out as I have in the past but then I ran across an article that describes having to "connect the vehicle communication module (VCM) and scan tool into the vehicle data link connector (DLC) under the dash and carry out the chassis brake bleeding procedure".

I saw where this article says "Bleeding the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) is required only when removing or installing the HCU, master cylinder or opening the lines to the HCU." and I just want to make sure that Ford didn't sneak in a process that excludes the end user from performing their own repairs. I should be good to perform normal bleed procedures at the calipers themselves as normal. Correct ?

You may need that full procedure done IF you end up with a spongy brake pedal due to air in the system after caliper replacement. The Motive Bleeder comes highly recommended for best results. Make sure the brake fluid doesn't run dry during the process, maybe even rig a brake fluid container with a line attached THRU the reservoir cap into the reservoir fluid BEFORE starting so that fresh fluid keeps getting pulled into the system while the bleeding is in progress.

Here's an article that may help you:

http://www.linnbenton.edu/auto/brake/bleed.html

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thx for that link, yeah .. I'm well versed on the old school method of bleeding brakes. Been doing all my own [brake] work since the mid seventies. But now with all the modules, ABS, etc. I'd just feel better knowing that I was not skipping a mandatory process.

From all that I've read, I should be okay with only opening the lines at the calipers and bleeding as normal when done.

When I bled my brakes I had no issues with the bleeding, but then again I did not remove the calipers and I also made darn sure I did not bleed too much fluid out before replenishing. I would recommend putting a cap on the end of the line to keep it from leaking too much and prevent as much air as possible from entering. Also if possible preload the caliper with fluid to help the process along.

Agreed.

Thx for that link, yeah .. I'm well versed on the old school method of bleeding brakes. Been doing all my own [brake] work since the mid seventies. But now with all the modules, ABS, etc. I'd just feel better knowing that I was not skipping a mandatory process.

From all that I've read, I should be okay with only opening the lines at the calipers and bleeding as normal when done.