Power liftgate issue

Kevin Su

On 12/2/2017 at 1:01 PM, Mesa Mac said:

I have a 2016 Edge Titanium 2.0L Eco-boost. My problem is also with the lift gate; it spontaneously opened while I was driving out of the garage and caused over $2200 damage. It has been repaired but now the lift gate randomly operates: at times it opens to the 3/4 position but when that happens, you cannot close it except manually. It does not respond to the driver's pod, to the button on the lift gate, to the hands free under the bumper, or to the button on the dash. When this happens, I have to manually close it and then it may or may not open again.

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues-primarily has anyone else had the lift gate open on its own with the vehicle in motion?

Hi. I have a 2016 Ford Edge & in February 2020 I started having back hatch problems. It opens up on its own in the middle of the night. It is only when I back my car into my carport & then leave  both fobs on the counter in my kitchen which is separated by the inside/ outside wall of my condo. Still under warranty but dealership  has checked it & said nothing wrong. Caused by outside signal interference.  Dealing with ford also but not much help.so far. 

3 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues-primarily has anyone else had the lift gate open on its own with the vehicle in motion?

The liftgate shouldn't be able to open if the vehicle is in gear.  Note page 64 of your owner's manual says "The liftgate only operates with the transmission in park (P)."
The best way to diagnose random opening in the garage (or when the car is shut down) is to remove triggers one item at a time to see if the behavior stops.
1. Make sure both fobs are more than 3 feet from the vehicle (preferably much further)
2. Find the liftgate checkbox in your left menu and uncheck it.
3. Disconnect the 'kick to open' sensor (are you sure a cat or rodent isn't running under your car with the fob left inside?)

Beyond those items I'd suspect a short in either the liftgate or dash buttons.

6 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

The liftgate shouldn't be able to open if the vehicle is in gear.  Note page 64 of your owner's manual says "The liftgate only operates with the transmission in park (P)."
The best way to diagnose random opening in the garage (or when the car is shut down) is to remove triggers one item at a time to see if the behavior stops.
1. Make sure both fobs are more than 3 feet from the vehicle (preferably much further)
2. Find the liftgate checkbox in your left menu and uncheck it.
3. Disconnect the 'kick to open' sensor (are you sure a cat or rodent isn't running under your car with the fob left inside?)

Beyond those items I'd suspect a short in either the liftgate or dash buttons.

We have separated the fobs leaving 1 on the counter & the other to another room & no openings. Changed them around so different one left on counter & no openings. As soon as you  put 1 on the counter & the other on a shelf above it randomly opens only in the middle of the night.  I have never left fob in the car as  parking in a carport & concerns about it being stollen. Dealership has said they have left the fob in it when they had it & no openings. It has been suggested new keys with reprogramming but dealership doesn’t seem to want to do it even though still under warranty.  They say nothing wrong. 

On 7/13/2015 at 12:33 PM, Kevin Su said:

Not able to open the gate is not an issue for me. My problem is with the gate coming down on it's own when you are working to organize the cargo area, or when there are little kids playing near by, potentially climbing into / out of the cargo area.

This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

Has anyone else in this forum have similar experiences / concerns about their 2015 Ford Edge?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, Frustrated said:

I have been nearly crushed by the auto liftgate several times, its so quiet and today a train was going by so I really didnt hear it until it banged into my neck vertebrae very hard and kept moving downward,pushing me lower until I thought it nearly broke my neck. I am almost 70 and paid the extra for the power gate for ease of use, I open the gate several times a day. I'm sitting here worried to head home hoping my car hasn't disabled me.

I too dont want to turn the whole thing off to open and close its hard on my back.

I dont think my obstruction sensor works at all, I had to really shove on the door to get it to stop and thats hard when your neck is being crushed. I dont know what to do, except maybe crawl under there and cut the foot sensor wire because I still need it to open and close, just going without the foot switch is a small sacrifice vs being bedbound the few years I have left on earth.

Also, if I leave the fob in the car or laying on the ground 3+ feet away in a public parking lot, 2 things could happen, someone grab my keys and take my deadly car or B the stupid car locking me completely out with the keys inside. And why does it have to honk if I leave the keys in the car? I literally hate this car for these reasons.

It honks so you can't lock the keys in the car. You can still lock them in if you want using the keypad on the door. That honk when the key is the cabin negates the likelyhood of it locking you out. I haven't tried a key in the cargo area, just the passenger area.

I have had a few close calls with the Hands Free Liftgate, I have little toy dogs and when trying to get them into their kennel in the cargo area they run under the bumper and close it. Worst part about that is the kennel door swings out and could contact the rear window as it is closing. It has opened while washing it also.

Hands free is gimmicky, but now that I have it and use it, it is handy and I don't have to put down what I am carrying, or open it with the fob before I get there.

47 minutes ago, dabangsta said:

It honks so you can't lock the keys in the car. You can still lock them in if you want using the keypad on the door. That honk when the key is the cabin negates the likelyhood of it locking you out. I haven't tried a key in the cargo area, just the passenger area.

I have had a few close calls with the Hands Free Liftgate, I have little toy dogs and when trying to get them into their kennel in the cargo area they run under the bumper and close it. Worst part about that is the kennel door swings out and could contact the rear window as it is closing. It has opened while washing it also.

Hands free is gimmicky, but now that I have it and use it, it is handy and I don't have to put down what I am carrying, or open it with the fob before I get there.

I am sitting here hours after the liftgate crushed my neck vertebra, very painful. The scary part is why didn't the sensor notice this big giant 6 ft tall 200lb person is leaning in the back? It didn't, I had to fight my way to stay alive.

If I get out to check my mailbox, car running, my keys in my pocket, I click lock the door and a very loud honk honk, the neighbors hate me. I cant leave the keys in the car, someone will take it, I cant shut the car off, my dogs are in there, its 95 degrees outside, engine and ac running.

I let mine close on my arm, and it was pretty aggressively still trying to close, when the dog triggered it to close I pulled a cooler in the way so the kennel door wouldn't hit the glass.

There are ways to get rid of the honk when running and key is no longer in the cabin, it requires some advanced stuff like an OBD-II adapter, a laptop, and a program called ForScan. I think a lot of people that do delivery like to disable it.

For most it is a good thing, my wife closed the pano roof the other night and it honked at her when she tried to lock it because she left it on but not running.