Kevin Su

Power liftgate issue

On 12/2/2017 at 1:01 PM, Mesa Mac said:

I have a 2016 Edge Titanium 2.0L Eco-boost. My problem is also with the lift gate; it spontaneously opened while I was driving out of the garage and caused over $2200 damage. It has been repaired but now the lift gate randomly operates: at times it opens to the 3/4 position but when that happens, you cannot close it except manually. It does not respond to the driver's pod, to the button on the lift gate, to the hands free under the bumper, or to the button on the dash. When this happens, I have to manually close it and then it may or may not open again.

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues-primarily has anyone else had the lift gate open on its own with the vehicle in motion?

Hi. I have a 2016 Ford Edge & in February 2020 I started having back hatch problems. It opens up on its own in the middle of the night. It is only when I back my car into my carport & then leave  both fobs on the counter in my kitchen which is separated by the inside/ outside wall of my condo. Still under warranty but dealership  has checked it & said nothing wrong. Caused by outside signal interference.  Dealing with ford also but not much help.so far. 

3 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues-primarily has anyone else had the lift gate open on its own with the vehicle in motion?

The liftgate shouldn't be able to open if the vehicle is in gear.  Note page 64 of your owner's manual says "The liftgate only operates with the transmission in park (P)."
The best way to diagnose random opening in the garage (or when the car is shut down) is to remove triggers one item at a time to see if the behavior stops.
1. Make sure both fobs are more than 3 feet from the vehicle (preferably much further)
2. Find the liftgate checkbox in your left menu and uncheck it.
3. Disconnect the 'kick to open' sensor (are you sure a cat or rodent isn't running under your car with the fob left inside?)

Beyond those items I'd suspect a short in either the liftgate or dash buttons.

6 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

The liftgate shouldn't be able to open if the vehicle is in gear.  Note page 64 of your owner's manual says "The liftgate only operates with the transmission in park (P)."
The best way to diagnose random opening in the garage (or when the car is shut down) is to remove triggers one item at a time to see if the behavior stops.
1. Make sure both fobs are more than 3 feet from the vehicle (preferably much further)
2. Find the liftgate checkbox in your left menu and uncheck it.
3. Disconnect the 'kick to open' sensor (are you sure a cat or rodent isn't running under your car with the fob left inside?)

Beyond those items I'd suspect a short in either the liftgate or dash buttons.

We have separated the fobs leaving 1 on the counter & the other to another room & no openings. Changed them around so different one left on counter & no openings. As soon as you  put 1 on the counter & the other on a shelf above it randomly opens only in the middle of the night.  I have never left fob in the car as  parking in a carport & concerns about it being stollen. Dealership has said they have left the fob in it when they had it & no openings. It has been suggested new keys with reprogramming but dealership doesn’t seem to want to do it even though still under warranty.  They say nothing wrong. 

On 7/13/2015 at 12:33 PM, Kevin Su said:

Not able to open the gate is not an issue for me. My problem is with the gate coming down on it's own when you are working to organize the cargo area, or when there are little kids playing near by, potentially climbing into / out of the cargo area.

This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

Has anyone else in this forum have similar experiences / concerns about their 2015 Ford Edge?

I have a 2016 Ford Edge which was fine until February 2020. Then my tail gate started opening on its own periodically in the middle of the night. Dealership have checked & said nothing wrong with it. Caused by outside signal interference. 

any progress on how to disable that feature?

btw what "power lifting" turn off/on feature does in the menu? I didn't notice it changes anything

They replaced both of my fobs & haven’t had a problem since then. 

• Like 2

I have a 2018 titanium. Have the same problem with teh sensor. I wish someone  would come up with a disable option. I don't want to disconnect anything