New to Edge

Hello all,

My wife has decided she wants to trade her full size sedan for a smaller SUV. Her first choice was a Toyota Rav4. We looked at a number of the small SUV's and concluded that she thought the Rav was too small. We looked at the Edge one day as we have a Ford dealer nearby. Last Ford for me was a used Torino - guess I am dating myself! We both have ridden in a friend's Explorer and I was impressed with the elctronics and the Eco Boost engine. The Explorer is too big for us so the Edge was a good fit. I really like this car! I have seen some good reviews but you folks, being owners, are where the real information lies. We are looking at the AWD Titanium with all the goodies. Is there anyting we need to know about this vehicle that might jump up and bite us? Seems to be the right size and have all the options one could ask for.

Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Some of the issues that have popped up (and not for ALL of us) are:

- Leaky A-Pillar. This issue has been resolved. But if the one you are looking at was built before June 1, I'd make sure that (a) the fix has been done to it and (B) there is no sign of water damage inside (musty smells, damp carpet/insulation). FYI mine was built April 10 yet never leaked. They still applied the fix to my car to be safe.

- Cooled seats. Some are reporting when you run the cooling seats option, the back can become warm....instead of cool. The F150s have the same issue so this is ongoing. I don't use the feature much, so I don't pay it much attention.

- Rattles. Some have reported a few rattles here and there. Nothing major and some easy do-it-yourself fixes.

- Roof Rack. If it doesn't have the roof rails from the factory, your only option is a 3rd party roof rack. You can't just swap in the side rails like past years.

Just look around the 2015 section and you'll see threads on these issues.

I love my 15 and would recommend it to anyone looking at one.

I thought a '15 Escape would have fit our needs but SON suggested an Edge to Wifey, and she looked at one at the nearest dealer and then it became a matter of which one.

IMHO, some of the new options are stupid. Wife & I know how to parallel park, it was required to get our license when we were 16, the car doesn't have to do that for us. I was taught to watch my mirrors, I don't need a black box to tell me a car is in my blind spot, I watched him/her pull in there, I watch my lane placement, the car doesn't need to tell me to get back where I belong.

I'd save yourself about $5000-$6000 and choose options more carefully. We had a discussion on another forum a year ago that in-car navigation systems will go the same way as factory 8-tracks and under dash record players did, meaning they will stop being installed soon. A Garmin or smart phone is much easier to use.

Nothing wrong with more horsepower, the 6-speed auto is impressive, I sometimes think it drops one gear too many but that's just my opinion. The brakes and handling are not clumsy like a person would expect an SUV to be.

The '15 Edge is probably the best kept secret of Ford's line up.

Probably the main thing to look for is the build date of the vehicle. Anything built after June 1 should be fine (no water leak issues). Sure, minor issues could come up with any new car, but overall the 2015 Edge is really a great vehicle. We have only 1K miles on our 2015 SEL which was built on April 7, but have had no problems. It drives great and is so much better riding than our old 1991 Ford Explorer. You could always consider an extended warranty for some piece of mind (which I decided to purchase for that reason). Good luck with your decision.