TSBs, Warranty issues, Recalls... applying the fixes forward?

I am curious if/how/when they start to roll fixes for known documented issues into improvements on subsequent cars?

I have read about some known issues here they are addressing under recalls and warranty: transmission seals, rattling trim on BAMR, creaky wheels, etc and wonder if they just fix these issues as they come up 1x1 or actually try to improve and address the issue on the line ASAP? For example, in these known issues, do they go right to the assembly line plant level and start to fix them on all subsequent cars that roll off the floor as soon as they learn about it and acknowledge it so that subsequent cars do not have the costly issues they may have to repair. Or is that much to costly doing that as the line is rolling, parts are in stock, robots are building and it is more cost effective to just wait until they are asked to fix it by the owner? Or, as a third option, do they just wait until next production year to roll in all the fixes they became aware of and let current production year carry forward as it is?

I would be curious for if a person custom ordered a car to be built after these known warranty issues, are those vehicles less likely to have those issues and benefit from those recalls?

I am curious if/how/when they start to roll fixes for known documented issues into improvements on subsequent cars?

I have read about some known issues here they are addressing under recalls and warranty: transmission seals, rattling trim on BAMR, creaky wheels, etc and wonder if they just fix these issues as they come up 1x1 or actually try to improve and address the issue on the line ASAP? For example, in these known issues, do they go right to the assembly line plant level and start to fix them on all subsequent cars that roll off the floor as soon as they learn about it and acknowledge it so that subsequent cars do not have the costly issues they may have to repair. Or is that much to costly doing that as the line is rolling, parts are in stock, robots are building and it is more cost effective to just wait until they are asked to fix it by the owner? Or, as a third option, do they just wait until next production year to roll in all the fixes they became aware of and let current production year carry forward as it is?

I would be curious for if a person custom ordered a car to be built after these known warranty issues, are those vehicles less likely to have those issues and benefit from those recalls?

Hi Lex. :D Auto Manufacturers will make running changes during the year. You will see this when the Window Sticker says JOB 1, then JOB 2, then JOB 3, etc etc. Each JOB # change indicates changes and/or improvements that were made during a model year run. Other times, the changes are just quietly incorporated, with no JOB # change. It is much more efficient and cost effective to be done this way than pay the Dealer to perform Warranty work.

One additional thing. You are using the incorrect term (it is more than just a matter of semantics). The "known issues", i.e. Technical Service Bulletins and Warranty work for all of the things you mentioned (transmission seals, rattling trim, creaky wheels, etc) are not "Recalls". There have been no "Recalls" on the Edge or MKX. Not a single one.

While it may seem like a small detail, in reality a "Recall" is a much more involved and serious matter than these TSB and Warranty work fixes.

In a "Recall", the Manufacturer must follow precise procedures to notify all owners of a recalled vehicle by mail and have them bring their vehicles in for repair. Again, none of these problems have brought about a "Recall". They are just fixed if the particular vehicles owner complains of the problem.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hey thanks for the info... and clarification on semantics.. as the average Joe, did not realize the difference existed per se - but makes sense.. don't want to give them a bad rap and was speaking more generically about issues overall that are acknowledged and known.

You know you might have inadvertently answered an old question of mine.. as I just realized now that you say Job #1 and Job #2... when I had that thread going about the price difference and how it was lower at the dealer but when I custom ordered, the price went up on the BAMR and Limited's base cost and no one could definitively say why - well the fax I was sent talks about and mentions that "what we looked at on the floor was Job #1" and he states, "now they are building Job #2" - which meant nothing to me at the time - but which kind of now makes it clear to me that maybe some of the reason for that price increase I saw from floor model versus ordering was that maybe part of Job #2 was an increase in price to cover the cost of some of these 'fixes or improvements'? Seems logical..

Edited by Lex Talionis

Lex - I am reading the various posts with the transmission leaks, moon roof issues, fuel gauge problems, noisy wheels, etc, etc. I only hope that Ford is correcting these problems as they become appearant. Mine is scheduled for production the week of Feb 4th. I am giving up my Toyota and going back to Ford. If this turns out to be troublesome - I won't hesitate to unload it.

Lex - I am reading the various posts with the transmission leaks, moon roof issues, fuel gauge problems, noisy wheels, etc, etc. I only hope that Ford is correcting these problems as they become appearant. Mine is scheduled for production the week of Feb 4th. I am giving up my Toyota and going back to Ford. If this turns out to be troublesome - I won't hesitate to unload it.

Hi goatee. :D Yes, inherent engineering problems are corrected as they occur, as soon as feasible. It is the same case with all Auto Manufacturers.

You have to keep things in perspective. These are not widespread problems. They are the most common problems reported here, in a Forum specifically for Edge/MKX.

As has been pointed out in the past, reading an Automotive Forum is like reading the Newspaper, or watching the news. The "News" is usually all bad news. Good News is not news and is quickly forgotten. It is the same here. Many members come here to find a solution to some sort of problem. But the problem vehicles are a minority case. People who have no problems and love their car don't post everyday that they love their car. :wub: But people having problems post everyday for help and solutions.:reading:

Good luck with your new Edge. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Customer Satisfaction related issues are dealt with daily within the responsible engineering communities. Often a minor change to a production part will be made to prevent field concerns. In some instances, assembly changes or quality checks can be made on the line.

The manufacturer representative (Ford or outside supplier), the design engineer, the service engineer and plant liason will meet (often at the plant) and design a "Fix" or quality assurance step as soon as possible. If parts have to be re-engineered, it can take several weeks for full approval and retooling, but the fix does not have to wait for a major mid cycle change point. As soon as the newly designed part can be produced, it is implemented into production.

Job 2 and Job 3 changes generally involve option and feature content (SYNC, new series, mid year color changes, etc.) Price changes can occur at any time regardless of "Job" changes.

Edited by Grey