Loud popping noise during K turns, parallel parking

Stacey Huff

Just had my drive shaft replaced, had two new ball joints installed and front brakes and rotors in the beginning of August. Ever since the car has been making a loud popping sound during K turns and when parallel parking. It is now sometimes doing it when the brake pedal is pressed and then released. Faulty workmanship during repair or something else entirely?

Welcome Stacey! At first I thought it was a driveshaft or axle making the noise. Is it from the right side only or from either side or ...? The alignment of the halfshaft may have been disturbed within the PTU when the driveshaft was installed, or when brakes were done. Should also check the sway bar links, they can make all kinds of sounds.

If it is a brake problem, the brake caliper piston is likely not releasing properly, which means it was not lubricated properly, or possibly damaged during retraction for pad change. May have to change caliper to resolve.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 4 weeks later...

Sway bar links do make all sort of racket, but so do the Strut bearing mounts when they give up. Strut noise can be heard and diagnosed pretty easy. If the strut mounts are over 100k miles or near that then this may be the issue or if they replaced your swaybar links with cheap links then they most likely broke as the cheap ones I have discovered do not last more than about six months of use. In this video I discovered the sway bar link was broken and the noise was coming from the link. The torque mount was also bad but not making noise. you will hear the sway bar link at about 3:50 seconds into the video

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1