Maintenance - when to do it?

vexer

Hello, fellow Ford Edge / MKX owners!

I'm new to the forum but have been browsing for some time :)
I bought a 2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD, new, in 2014. For my first maintenance, I had it done at approximately 6,000KM and another at approximately 14,000KM. Basically, each time my dealership recommended.

However, my oil sensor / health status each time shows that my oil life is at 60%+. I'm now at 22,000KM and received another reminder to bring my car in for routine maintenance and oil change but my oil life is at 68%.

I read a few threads, and googled this, and seem to get conflicting results on whether to follow my car's oil life status, or the dealer's recommendation.

I know the dealer is trying to make money with maintenance more often, but the manual is not really 100% clear :)

What exactly is everyone doing?
Really just doing this as a poll rather than opinions as I know everyone will have their own reasoning unless someone can give an answer direct from the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance!

Never ever ever ever follow the dealer's recommendations unless you like to throw money away.

The owner's manual is very clear - follow the IOLM (intelligent oil life monitor). It doesn't actually test the oil but it factors in how the vehicle is driven, temperatures, etc. to determine when the oil should be changed. You can easily go 5K - 10K miles between changes in normal conditions. But don't go over 10K miles.

If it says you have 68% left, you have 68% left and you shouldn't even think about getting it changed unless it's been more than 12 months.

The oil life monitor is simply a timer that measures mileage & time (and maybe other things). As stated by akirby, the recommendation by Ford for normal driving is 16000 km or 12 months (whichever comes first). 100% oil life will represent this normal range (16000 km / 12 months).

If you want to go other than normal schedule, like extremely hot weather, (severe duty) you can go for 8000 km or 6 month service intervals, in this case reset the oil life to 50% and it will come up after 8k or 6 months.

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This algorithm takes into account the following factors by analyzing various engine sensor inputs.

• Driving Habits • Idle time • Temperature

The IOLM adjusts the oil change interval according to how the customer operates their vehicle. It uses the engine operating conditions to precisely calculate service intervals. The customer’s actual engine oil change interval will depend on the following operating conditions:

• Normal commuting with highway driving – up to 10,000 miles

• Trailer tow/high load driving – 5,000 to 7,500 miles

• Short trip usage, extreme temperatures – 3,000 to 5,000 miles

• Like 1

I know how it is supposed to work, but out of experience, it ALWAYS worked on mileage basis (maybe time). Even in our extreme summer months (120+ Fahrenheit), Oil life percentage was consistent with the normal commuting schedule (1% oil life per 100 miles driven). Since Ford recommends 5000 mile (8000 km) service intervals where I live, I reset the oil life to 50% & ALWAYS get the reminder at EXACTLY 5000 miles regardless of the extreme summer or mild winter months. As a matter of fact, even regardless of driving style as in the summer we have the habit of long engine idling & frequent long duration remote starts to cool down the interiors, and again the "IOLM" always goes by mileage.

Reminds me of the in door water filter on my Maytag Refridgerator......

I get the change filter light frequently for a $80 dollar filter. Truth is (from a maytag service man) it does not measure how much water it filters but how many times the door is opened/closed

Just sayin.......monitor yourself...I use the old windshield mileage sticker available for free at Aurozone

What year was your Edge? Early models didn't have IOLM and it was simply mileage based.

It's also possible your programming is different and simply assumes the worst case scenario based on the average climate in Qatar.

May 2011 build 2011 MKX. And it actually calculates the best case scenario, 100% life equals 10,000 miles. That's why I reset it to 50% at oil changes so I'd get the reminder after 5000 miles.