Tires are vibrating on highways

mickip15

Bought a brand new Edge in late October of 2007, four weeks after purchasing this gorgeous car my husband and I had to travel into the States. The speed limit in Michigan is 70 mph on the highway, which we thought was going to be trip with the brand new car. The first thing we noticed was the vibrating it did at 70 mph, when we sped up to pass some cars it got really crazy. So the whole trip back and forth had to be kept at about 55mph until we got back. My husband and I just got back from Ford to be told that this is a normal issue with the ford Edge and that we should wash behind each tire everytime that we go away for any highway driving so that the sand and salt doesn't sit in the rims. I bought this car so that it would be totally maintenance free. i am a female that doesn't even put gas in the car and they have the balls to tell me that this is what I am to do every time I get on the highway.

Am I losing my mind or is the way that dealerships deal with women.

Bought a brand new Edge in late October of 2007, four weeks after purchasing this gorgeous car my husband and I had to travel into the States. The speed limit in Michigan is 70 mph on the highway, which we thought was going to be trip with the brand new car. The first thing we noticed was the vibrating it did at 70 mph, when we sped up to pass some cars it got really crazy. So the whole trip back and forth had to be kept at about 55mph until we got back. My husband and I just got back from Ford to be told that this is a normal issue with the ford Edge and that we should wash behind each tire everytime that we go away for any highway driving so that the sand and salt doesn't sit in the rims. I bought this car so that it would be totally maintenance free. i am a female that doesn't even put gas in the car and they have the balls to tell me that this is what I am to do every time I get on the highway.

request that they rebalance them..if they wont do it..take it to a tire shop that will..my factory 18's rode smooth as silk up to 100mph..so you should not be having that issue..make sure that (on my application) each wheel should have 2 weights..one on the outside lip and onw on the inside lip of the rim..one may have spun off..

This is typical of a tire or tires not being properly balanced. It is most noticible between 110-130km/h (65-75mph) where the steering wheel "shakes"...

If you travel at slower speeds, the vibration disappears.

As mentioned in the previous post, if the dealer is NOT willing to rebalance the tires for you, take them to a local tire shop. Should run you about $10/tire.

Good luck..

The service advisors answer may be partially correct (often encounter it if snow gets caught up in the back of the rim) but it is a cop out. Get the salesman who sold you the car to come listen to the service advisors "explanation" and then say you believe they are improperly balanced. Perhaps he will step up to the plate for you. Ideally if you are in having it serviced anyway and they are due to rotate the tires they should do this once for you at no charge. The expense is minimal since the car will be up on the hoist and the wheels off any way.

Otherwise find a good tire shop and let the dealer know why you are not giving them your business when they invited you for your next "scheduled" service.

I will have my tires rebalanced every 6000 miles when I have them rotated. Or, every other oil change. I have had tire vibration before from crap build up in the rims. If you are getting snow build up, then everyonce in a while you will need to get in there and scrape the snow out. If you have a heated garage, take it to the car wash on your way home and that should knock all the crap out.

If your looking for a maintence free vehicle you went to the wrong dealership. You should have gone to the Schwinn dealer.

I went and got them speed balanced at a tire shop and the tire shop stated that they were perfectly balanced .

They didn't even charge me for the balancing. I am heading out on the highway tomorrow hopefully it does not go crazy on me.