2014 SEL Aftermarket Sub+Amp Install

Okay so I asked about a week ago if it was possible to do an aftermarket sub and amp install on a model that didn't include a stock sub (Without SONY). I didn't have many replies, I only assume because it's quite the task to do an install without a factory sub being in place already. But I have done it:

Edited by HotLights
  • Like 1

​I used a plastic epoxy to secure the initial half of the box:

Then I used fibreglass to patch the large hole, this was my first time working with it:

After hardening for a couple days I used silicone to seal the holes:

I then used a undercoating spray (Rocker Guard) to seal the rest and provide some sound proofing. The smell from the fibreglass was horrendous so this helped:

Edited by HotLights

Next on the list was to route the main power wire for the amp. I found a nice large grommet right behind the battery:

It was easier to remove the battery and install the wire:

This crappy picture is showing where the power wire came out, it was well above the brake peddle:

Then I ran the wire under all the kick panels to the rear:

Edited by HotLights

Next it was time to mount the sub in the trim panel, I created a template and cut it out:

It fit fairly well. However, I did use a gasket sealant maker to ensure it was nice and airtight:

I ran the speaker wire under the grey sound mating:

Edited by HotLights

I had a better line out converter on order, but it's still in the mail. So I had to make a late night run to Walmart and pick up this thing:

A good mounting spot is between the passenger front and rear door. The only problem is that I was unable to tap into both rear speakers as the instructions suggest:

There was a perfect spot to ground the LOC and after tapping into the RR speaker I had to run the RCA and Remote Turn on wires:

Because this is a temporary LOC I only twisted the wires together and used electrical tape. It's ghetto but it works:

Because it was hard to find a constant 12v wire for the remote turn on, I had to run a wire from the main power at the amp and connect it to the yellow wire at the LOC. I then ran the remote turn on wire back to the amp. The reason I did it this way was because the LOC has something interal that turns on/off the remote turn on. Even with a 12v constant going to it. If I just jumped the remote turn on straight off the main power, the amp would never turn off!

Edited by HotLights

Final product!

This whole project took me about a week to complete. Because I was not constantly working on it and because all the cure time I had to wait for the epoxy and fibreglass. It turned out good, it does rattle some areas but not so bad. Sub sounds good but could sound better.

I plan on building a custom wood enclosure to mount behind the trim and keep the sub in the existing location.

If you have any questions please let me know!

Edited by HotLights
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...