What to use on interior plastic parts(to clean)

What's agood cleaner to use on sill plates and other plastic pieces in the interior? I've had my dashboard replaced because of a scuff mark I tried to get out with simple green,so I am a bit hesitant to use such a strong cleaner.

Hi Tom. :D I use "Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer" and "Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant" for my car. They do have other interior care products.

LINK: Meguiar's

Of course there are other good products, made by companies like Mother's LINK: Mother's, etc. Meguiar's just happens to be my pick.

You can find either brand at most Automotive Shops, Walmart, K-Mart etc etc.

I would stay away from stronger cleaners, like Simple Green, when cleaning your interior plastics. Usually plain old soapy water will take off any dirt of residue you may have on interior plastics.

If that won't work (like on your scuff mark), it usually means that the plastic is scratched/scuffed, or obviously damaged, and rubbing scratched or scuffed plastics with a strong chemical cleaner will only serve to make it worse. You will possibly discolor the area you rub, and/or scratch it more (as you unfortunately found out).

I'm sure others will weigh in shortly with their favorites also.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I like Meguiar and Mothers - good products. Another option is 303 (my favorite) - especially for protecting.

My remedy is Diluted Soapy Water (I use Dawn) to clean. If you keep on top of things, this is all you will need.

Then after I clean I use 303 to protect.

My brother uses this method and has a 1991 MR2 in pristine condition.

I use it on both my Mazda 3SP and now Ford Edge Limited.

Either brand you go with, you cant go wrong.

Solas

BBF - your comments and suggestions are always on point! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. :beerchug:

Hi Tom. :D I use "Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer" and "Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant" for my car. They do have other interior care products.

LINK: Meguiar's

Of course there are other good products, made by companies like Mother's LINK: Mother's, etc. Meguiar's just happens to be my pick.

You can find either brand at most Automotive Shops, Walmart, K-Mart etc etc.

I would stay away from stronger cleaners, like Simple Green, when cleaning your interior plastics. Usually plain old soapy water will take off any dirt of residue you may have on interior plastics.

If that won't work (like on your scuff mark), it usually means that the plastic is scratched/scuffed, or obviously damaged, and rubbing scratched or scuffed plastics with a strong chemical cleaner will only serve to make it worse. You will possibly discolor the area you rub, and/or scratch it more (as you unfortunately found out).

I'm sure others will weigh in shortly with their favorites also.

Good luck! :beerchug: