Factory Tires on 2015 Sport

Wedgeamatic

Wow. What a surprise! Took my Sport into Discount Tire in Centtral Phoenix.

My rear tire cannot be repaired because of where the nail is (top of side wall).

Hankook stopped making this tire!!!! They have a new model but it is not the same tire as this factory tire currently on my Sport (manufactured in May 2015).

My dealer, Surpsrise Ford located a tire on the east coast. How crazy is that???

Wow. What a surprise! Took my Sport into Discount Tire in Centtral Phoenix.

My rear tire cannot be repaired because of where the nail is (top of side wall).

Hankook stopped making this tire!!!! They have a new model but it is not the same tire as this factory tire currently on my Sport (manufactured in May 2015).

My dealer, Surpsrise Ford located a tire on the east coast. How crazy is that???

Seems like it would have been a heck of a lot less expensive to put in a tube. (Do they even use tubes anymore?)

I'm a HUGE advocate for inner tubes in slow moving vehicle tires like agricultural and construction equipment. But I don't think running inner tubes on a vehicle like an Edge would be wise. The inner tube and tire casing would rub as the tire flexes as it rolls and the tire would overheat and probably fail by blowing out. It would be just like running your tires at 25 psi instead of the 44 psi stated on the sidewall, tire would squat, flex, overheat, fail!

I'm a HUGE advocate for inner tubes in slow moving vehicle tires like agricultural and construction equipment. But I don't think running inner tubes on a vehicle like an Edge would be wise. The inner tube and tire casing would rub as the tire flexes as it rolls and the tire would overheat and probably fail by blowing out. It would be just like running your tires at 25 psi instead of the 44 psi stated on the sidewall, tire would squat, flex, overheat, fail!

INTERESTING! I figured there might be reasons I never hear of tubes anymore..... and your's might be a plausible as any. (But, I'm also pretty gullible.)

Last time I heard of an inner tube used in a car tire was back in the 1960's, and the early 1960's at that. Some light duty trucks used inner tubes into the 1970's. Medium and heavy trucks still used tubes into the late '70's but were all tubeless by 1980. The trucking industry couldn't get rid of tubes fast enough!

I suspect inner tubes in car tire sizes are not even made anymore.

The high speeds and the rapid flexing and heat build-up is what does them in.

Farm & construction equipment has a top speed of 20-25 mph although some specialized equipment can travel as fast as 40 mph. Not near fast enough to generate enough heat to cause tire failure.

I have seen videos sponsored by a European farm tractor manufacturer trying to set a world land speed record for a tractor. They hit over 100 mph with no tire problems.

• 2 weeks later...