Edge with 4 Cylinder Eco Boost

davidceder

Went and drove the Sport again yesterday with both 20 and 21 inch wheels. I found the ride a bit better with the 20's but I don't know how much air was in the tires so a bit suggestive. What I did find was that the acoustics in the car with the 20 inch was worse than the 21s, sort of a buffeting sound, like driving at high speeds with a window partially open. I am sure all this is suggestive and I attribute the difference that the 20 incher did not have a BAMR and the 21 did. But this is not my issue. I found the sport ride to be a bit stiffer than I cared for. I love everything else about it especially the engine but comfort is comfort and I am not getting any younger.

I am going to test drive a Titanium at my next opportunity. I would prefer to have the 4 Cyl Ecoboost engine if I go this route. I live in the mountains of Arizona a a round trip to Phoenix (which we do very often) has about 9000 feet of climbing, some fairly steep so I was wondering for you folks that have this engine:

How is it performing on hills and the ability to pass on the hwy going between 65-75?

Thank you

You will definitely get subjective answers on this one.

Personally, I don't do much hill climbing. I find the additional torque of the 2.0EB versus the V6 really makes a difference at low speeds, especially if you set it on 'S'. As for passing at 65-75, that's where the higher HP of the V6 wins. Passing at 65-75 with the 2.0EB is no slouch, but it does take a bit longer, so requires more planning.

Wife & I put 12,000 miles on our first '15 Edge that leaked. 3.5L V-6 AWD. Setting the cruise at 75 on 4-lane divided highways in hilly western Wisconsin would have the transmission dropping two gears and screaming up to 4200 rpm while climbing hills. If I played with the sport setting the car would climb the hill in 5th gear.

We have around 3500 miles on our replacement Edge, EB 2.0L AWD. Most of those same hills it will pull in 6th gear, even accelerate in 6th. If you drop into 5th acceleration is rather spirited.

So the extra 25 #/ft of torque 1000 rpm lower in the rev range does make up for the 40 extra HP of the 3.5L. The 2.7L EB V-6 makes even more torque & HP at even lower rpm so it must pull really well.

My Wife found the 3.5L in the Edge to be "doggy", only way to get it to move at times was to floor it and force a downshift to lower gears or it would not accelerate. The little 2.0L EB blends into city and highway traffic with much less commotion and accelerates comfortably at lower rpm without downshifts.

• Like 2

Went and drove the Sport again yesterday with both 20 and 21 inch wheels. I found the ride a bit better with the 20's but I don't know how much air was in the tires so a bit suggestive. What I did find was that the acoustics in the car with the 20 inch was worse than the 21s, sort of a buffeting sound, like driving at high speeds with a window partially open. I am sure all this is suggestive and I attribute the difference that the 20 incher did not have a BAMR and the 21 did. But this is not my issue. I found the sport ride to be a bit stiffer than I cared for. I love everything else about it especially the engine but comfort is comfort and I am not getting any younger.

I am going to test drive a Titanium at my next opportunity. I would prefer to have the 4 Cyl Ecoboost engine if I go this route. I live in the mountains of Arizona a a round trip to Phoenix (which we do very often) has about 9000 feet of climbing, some fairly steep so I was wondering for you folks that have this engine:

How is it performing on hills and the ability to pass on the hwy going between 65-75?

Thank you

I downloaded a sound meter app for my Samsung Galaxy S4 (and also have a calibrated separate sound meter, and they both reported the same db levels, so the app is pretty accurate) to measure "loudness".

I also have a g-force/accelerometer app to measure "roughness".

That takes away the subjectivity, for the most part for noise/ride, IMO.