New Member - Need Assistance w/Radar Detector Install

rjkasprzak

someone correct me if I am wrong... but fuses will always be hot. the current runs through the fuses at all times from the battery.. the fuse just completes the circuit. then from the fuse box to the item (radio, lights, stereo, map light, etc.) So, any time you tap into the fuse box direct (shove the wire under the fuse) you are always tapping into a hot system. You need to tap into a wire - for example - that runs to a system that could (1) handle the power needs/amps of the fuzz buster AND item it is suppose to run and (2) only is activated when engine is one. Plus, it will need to be grounded - which is why the cord from the buzz buster, when cut, has 2 wires (red and black or hot and ground). An example you might be able to tie into would be the stereo, or an overhead map light or something only powered up when key is on.

now, all this would be under dash unless you maybe taped into something like the auto dim rearview mirror - assuming it is fused to handle the power of both items - as that would be up high and could then be visor mounted and wires hidden in the rear view mirrors wire bundle and headliner.

or.... you could do as you have done and not get that involved and just remember to turn off the fuzz buster :)

There are also many items that are on battery saver that won't turn off until 15 minutes after the Ignition switch is turned off. I ran my Valentine One hook up under the head liner and used the yellow with a Green Tracer for my hot wire. When I turn the ignition off the Detector stays on for roughly 15 minutes then turns off.

You are right about the fuse block. With the ignition off only the battery side will show hot, with the ignition on both sides will show hot. Fuses don't have switches in them, they are just a break point in case of overload.

Please note my Yellow with green tracer is by the Sunroof Switches. you may not have that wire without the roof. The Auto Mirror and Map lights are to low watts to carry the load of a detector. I learned that the hard way with my old Valentine and my old Escape.