how to change gauge cluster lighting color

Here a write up on changing the display color for your gauge cluster. this particular one was done on 2010 limited.

before we start you can literally choose any color you like..if you want green,great job.....you are done!

1 take a picture of your gauges with ignition off. take each seperate if neccessary to get a close up of exactly where needle position is. not always right at zero.and i dont know about you but that plus or minus 3-4 could make a difference on the speedometer in particular.

2 remove steering column opening trim panel. 2 10mm bolts and it pulls out .4 retainer clips

3 remove instrument cluster finish panel. 2 screws at the base. make sure to lower your tilt to the full down position. seperate the column trim by pressing in on the sides of the top piece and lifting upward.disconnect one harness plug for rear hatch and remove.

4 remove instrument cluster.4 7mm bolts and 1 harness plug and remove

5 remove plastic lens from gauge cluster. 1 phillips screw in the back and carefully seperate the tabs. yes i broke one,luckily it was repairable.

ok here is the fun part,just be patient.

6 there are several tools i have seen used to remove the dials from the gauge cluster..two spoons,one on each side and pry them off...another used a fork although his was a picture and i didnt actually see it happen....i wasnt in the kitchen when i did this so i chose to use a hook pick.carefully use whatever tool will allow you to just get under the edge of the dial and pry it up. these are not quite as flimsy as i thought but yes they will break.post-38617-0-23046200-1454444546_thumb.jpg post-38617-0-16443200-1454444543_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-89006400-1454444558_thumb.jpg

7 once all 4 dials have been removed there are 4 round retaining clips at each gauge..again i used a small pick to pry these out.

8 remove the plastic trim and if you are going to finish this project before driving your car,great set the gauge assembly in a safe place away from your work area.if you plan on going somewhere you will need to temp install this unit back in your edge..just reconnect the harness plug and the 4 screws. it wont start without this unit in the car and connected..this is essentially where your car communicates all together.

9 you will need to sand away the parts of the trim where it shows green when light is behind it..i used wet sand both 600 amd also 1000 grit..just take your time once again and you must get ALL the green off.i left the red as i wanted the max and high levels to be different...u can also make these any color you choose..double check and triple check to ensure that all of the green is gone..post-38617-0-29468300-1454444552_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-29997700-1454444554_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-41691100-1454444556_thumb.jpgpost-38617-0-85062700-1454444549_thumb.jpg

i also used a very sharp razor blade or an exacto would work also to cut out the green display screen in front of the info center..then i cleaned edges with a dremil. if you are unsure of your skills with a dremil..dont use it! it is very easy to take away to much material..

10 tape off the parts of the trim u want to keep clear or red or i believe there are a few that are yellow leds on the actual board of gauge cluster..if you want to change the color of the yellow you will need to change the actual leds on the board..if you dont think u can or question your ability at all to do this..DONT DO IT! it will require a steady hand and a good soldering iron with the right tip and the correct heat level..

11 so now you need to pick your color..or colors...if green is your choice and you have completed steps up to this point..well then you are an idiot and probably need help tying your shoes in the morning..ok ok im jk... there are two options you can use to get your color..i used both.. first u can get lighting gels which are used for stage lighting and come in a variety pack. i purchased 1 pack of like 15 different colors. they are 10x10 sheets and i got this pack at guitar center or u can order online..also you can use testers transparent spray enamel..they have at hobby store but limited in colors but the basics are certainly there..i tried using just the gels at first but any type of adhesive i used would remove the gel color and it looked like crap..but the color from gels in my opinion is much deeper and better than the testers enamel..note :the gels can be secured with hot glue but in the case of the gauges you will notice you are limited on space and if the glue oozes out the front its going to look like crap...so my solution was to spray two coats of the testers enamel and on the third coat literally while paint was still wet i layed the gels i had cut to fit right into the wet enamelit actually worked quite well and the two different sources together gave me a nice shade of blue...let it dry completely and peal your masking tape. the display you cut out in front of the information screen i just cut an oversized gel and hot glued it behind the trim..u have plenty of room to use hot glue here.post-38617-0-42462900-1454444564_thumb.jpg

basically you are ready to reassemble...just make sure all your color edges are good..a couple color changes from blue to red are extremely close so i did trim a bit with a very sharp blade.. just reverse your removal process and make sure to set your gauge needles exacty where they were ..refer to your pictures post-38617-0-84725600-1454444566_thumb.jpg.

hope this helps someone..its really not that difficult..and i spent i think about 30 bucks on whole project..

post-38617-0-62903900-1454444561_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...