Couple SYNC questions

Lisatisa88

I just got delivery of my edge last week! I love every bit of it, but I just had a few questions about sync. I use it with my Ipod and from "main menu" I can work it great. If I'm already listening to a song though and I want to play a different one, I hit the voice button on the steering wheel, and it makes me start from main menu again. I know that if I hit the voice button twice that it will just "listen to me", but it still requires a demand from "main menu." So what I'm asking is, Is there a way to say different Ipod commands (ex. play track... play artist...) without going through "user device" "usb" THEN "play artist..."?

I also turned off the prompts in the settings, but it still makes me go back to main menu all the time.

May be an issue with iPods - dont know. Do a search here, I know there is a big thread on iPods and their issues - might be of help.

My player is an iRiver Clix Gen 2.

Every start the car, I have to tell it to select USB. Everytime there after (while car is on), all I say is PLAY Track PLAY Artist etc - no need to start from top.

IF it is not an iPod issue, defiantly get it checked out by your dealer as that is NOT the way it is supposed to work.

Good Luck

Solas

I just took delivery and have this same issue.... once i get to playing a song, I press the Voice button and I have to listen to all the prompts again from this female voice... I cannot just say

PLAY jimi hendrix right from what I am listening to - no way this can be right

I have not read the manual yet, but it drove me bonkers on the way home. I hope this is not the way it is. I have a iPod Nano with Apple cable which is 100% supported..

Edited by Lex Talionis

I use an iPod with the USB and don't have that problem. Never have to go back to the main menu. Just hit the 'voice' button on the steering wheel and say "next track" and it works great.

so if you are listening to a track.. you can just push the VOICE button 1 time and say "play jimi hendrix"?

On mine, you have to hit the VOICE button 2 times, then say "USER DEVICE" and then it responds back "USB" and then I can say "play jimi hendrix"... have to do that every time! if you only hit 1 time VOICE it gives you all the prompts, if you hit is 2 times is when you can then say USER DEVICE and then say a command and bypass the prompts... but this is wrong, no?

Does your nav display on the top tabs say USER DEVICE? Mine does, and then within that I select USB.

am I doing something wrong here?

UPDATE: sure enough... seems like I am doing it right.. http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/Supp...ails.aspx?hdi=3

seems rather cryptic system needing extra clicks/commands to work

Edited by Lex Talionis

I'm not sure why yours works differently but i do not have to say "usb" again. I'll be listening to the iPod, hit the voice button, say "next track" or "play artist X" and it works fine. It never prompts me for the device again.

crazy.. what you say seems right, but even the above directions show it is suppose to work they way it is working for me...

I'm not sure why yours works differently but i do not have to say "usb" again. I'll be listening to the iPod, hit the voice button, say "next track" or "play artist X" and it works fine. It never prompts me for the device again.

This is exactly how it works for me too

Press button - say "Play Artist U2" or "Play Track Zoorupa" or "Shuffle On" or "Repeat Off" etc. Once I set the device to USB in the beginning (car start), I never say it again - unless of course I switch sources that is.

Good luck and let us know what any solutions are.

Solas

just got off phone with a tech.. here is what he said, confirms my guess....

because we have the interactive Nav system that has: Nav, CD, Satellite, User Device, FM, AM.... we need to prompt the system to let it know which device we want to talk to as it does not know if you want to talk to the iPod or the Nav map or the Satellite radio. That is why we get these prompts... So, the point is, even if you are using the iPod, you still may want to talk to the Satellite so you have to tell it first what item you want to interact with via voice and then interact with that item. He claims a Sync only system does not have this setup as it knows you only want to talk to the USB/ipod or phone.... less choices means less interaction..

so in my case, as I have the full nav with cd, satellite, phone, radio, user device... I have to hit the VOICE button and say USER DEVICE to let it know I want to talk to the iPod and not the Satellite and then give my command "play jimi hendrix". BUT, If while using the iPod I want to switch to Satellite, I have to hit the VOICE button and say SATELLTE and then give it the command "play channel 101"

he confirmed this on his test bed machine in front of him, with his coworkers while I confirmed on my Sync..

as further proof, my nav system will not respond to the term you guys use of USB... I must use USER DEVICE

I kind of understand the logic as to why... kind of wish it would just know i am on USER DEVICE and not have to be promoted again... but it also makes sense that while on USER DEVICE I might want to tell the nav/map some directive so it needs to know which to listen for and activate.

Edited by Lex Talionis

No nav here too - aftermarket is better anyway - at least for me.

Now, if what you say is true - that would really stink for those with nav.

When I have my phone (BT Audio and it does have MP3 on it), USB (iRiver Clix) and SAT - I dont have to tell it each time which device to use. I dont use SAT, even though I paid for it, so I dont use the SAT commands.

For instance - I would expect to stay on USB (like for those without NAV). Now if I am on USB and want to do phone, I do have to say "Phone" then "Call SoNSo" etc.

Hopefully there is a an update soon for you guys. See if there is anything on SyncMyRide about suggestions or what not.

Nonetheless, this seems odd that there is SYNC for NAV and SYNC for NO NAV. Odd.

Have fun learning.

Solas

No nav here too - aftermarket is better anyway - at least for me.

Now, if what you say is true - that would really stink for those with nav.

When I have my phone (BT Audio and it does have MP3 on it), USB (iRiver Clix) and SAT - I dont have to tell it each time which device to use. I dont use SAT, even though I paid for it, so I dont use the SAT commands.

For instance - I would expect to stay on USB (like for those without NAV). Now if I am on USB and want to do phone, I do have to say "Phone" then "Call SoNSo" etc.

Hopefully there is a an update soon for you guys. See if there is anything on SyncMyRide about suggestions or what not.

Nonetheless, this seems odd that there is SYNC for NAV and SYNC for NO NAV. Odd.

Have fun learning.

Solas

This should be fixed once the Navigation and Sync modules are merged (which I think is happening later this year on some models). Right now they are separate modules (voice controlled nav was in place long before Sync) thus the need to determine up front which one to send the command to.

• 3 months later...

I can speak to that. I bought my Edge with no NAV and was able to just say the command to play a song as SOLAS describes. Then my dealer installed the NAV and now I am having the same problems about going all the way to the Main Menu. I cannot say USB anymore, I have to say User Device and go from there. Definitively something that needs improvement.