Got a 2016 MKX loaner while new gas tank being put on, and has terrible musty odor in car. Asst service mgr told me while showing how to use car, that they can't figure out where odor is coming from. Personally I think it's AC drain clogged, but car is only 1-1/2 months old. Seems that others are also having same problem. Wonder if they changed design on 2016?

Edited by enigma-2

How many miles are on it and did it smell exactly like that smell we all associate with a "mildew" source? If it was like my issue (reported here) it will not smell like mildew, but it does smell pretty bad. Mine has seemed to go away, but I have not needed to use the AC for a while and have been using the fan powered vent for ventilation without any smell noted.

It smelled like someone had been smoking a cheap cigar in it with the windows up. Just dropped it off and told the service agent about it. He smelled it and thought it was a clogged drain on the AC evaporator drain. Then he started mumbling something about the A piller leaking and causing mold, but stopped and added "but I think they had already fixed that". It really stinks, strong, musty smell.

• 2 weeks later...