PTU Vent removal and cleaning

Brian K

I think I read that the PTU vent can be removed by prying it out. Is that right? When I took my drain plug out I heard a sucking sound which indicates that the PTU is not venting properly I believe. I tried using a screwdriver to pry it out and it won't come out and I don't want to break it. Could someone please confirm that I am on the right track? I don't want to break it. Perhaps I'll go to Ford and see if they have one to replace it or perhaps the vent that goes up to the top of the engine bay. Thanks

The local Ford dealer said that the PTU's are the same in the '10 Taurus and the '08 MKX - so the TSB can apply and the vent P/N will work on my PTU.

Has anyone sourced this vent from somewhere? The local dealer wants $140 for it and 10 days delivery. I'd like to try getting it cheaper.

Also - the real problem is removing the old vent and cleaning it - If I can do that, that is really all I would like to do

Does anyone know how to remove it with out breaking it?

Thanks AKirby

The Fordparts.com site doesn't allow international orders. Grrrrr. (I guess the wall that Trump wants to build already exists - oh wait that was for Mexico lol.)

The part costs ~$75 so that is about $100 in Canadian Peso's. Then there is shipping, duties & taxes etc. so probably I should bend over for the local dealer.

I tried Levittown and they are closed for the day of course.

I went to a few tranny shops to see if they know how hard the vent is to take out with out breaking it. They don't know. They just change lots of PTU's and they don't know anything about changing the oil, installing a drain to refill, and didn't know about adding a vent. I was hoping to have a look at one to see what it actually looks like and see how to pull it out. I got more good info from this site than from the tranny repair/replace guys. One guy said changing the oil wouldn't help much because the problem is that it gets puked out the vent. He seemed to think that a TSB existed to lower the level in the TSB so it would puke out. But that doesn't make sense to me because if the PTU was over filled and puked some oil out, it would come to an equilibrium at a 'non-puking' level and be good. But the oil turns to sludge and that can't lube the parts. To me over heating is the problem because of a lack of lubrication so changing it regularly should help. He didn't seem to understand that the oil turns to sludge and doesn't lube the bearings.

Thanks again.

I have changed the fluid - about 4 times now - and still coming out black but much thinner than originally. The last time I changed it I noticed a sucking should when I removed the fill plug - to me indicating that when the fluid heated up, it expanded and 'may' have vented. Then when it cooled, is shrunk and my guess the sucking sound is because the vent is not letting air back into the PTU housing. So I want to pull the vent and clean it. I can reach and touch the vent from under the vehicle but can't see it, and I tried to pry it out with a screwdriver. But it isn't coming out and I don't want to break it without a back-up plan. So I was hoping that someone would have some info on a possible removal method (pry out with a screwdriver hopefully) - other than removing the PTU which I don't want to do. Popping it out, cleaning it and re-installing once I verify it's operation is my plan - but that is just not working out as I hoped (yet).

I had a look at a jiggly rear axle vent on my 07 Mustang which looks very similar to the vent on the PTU except it is threaded in and not pressed in (I removed because it was puking some oil on the axle - so I installed a turkey baster vent - Ford TSB). The old jiggly vent only allows venting out and does not allow air to come back in - so much like a check valve. So I'm betting it's the same with the PTU vent. So that might explain the sucking sound after the oil cools - it vents the pressure build up when hot, then when it cools, a vacuum is created. Next time I drain the PTU, I'll try blowing a bit of air with my air compressor ( pressure turned down) into the drain on the PTU with the plug installed and see if I can feel or hear the air venting from the PTU vent. Will update with findings.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Is there an update on this? I know it's almost a year old, but worth a shot. I'd like to replace my 2011 Edge sport's vent with the new SHO vent, and wondering how it comes out.

I had a look at a jiggly rear axle vent on my 07 Mustang which looks very similar to the vent on the PTU except it is threaded in and not pressed in (I removed because it was puking some oil on the axle - so I installed a turkey baster vent - Ford TSB). The old jiggly vent only allows venting out and does not allow air to come back in - so much like a check valve. So I'm betting it's the same with the PTU vent. So that might explain the sucking sound after the oil cools - it vents the pressure build up when hot, then when it cools, a vacuum is created. Next time I drain the PTU, I'll try blowing a bit of air with my air compressor ( pressure turned down) into the drain on the PTU with the plug installed and see if I can feel or hear the air venting from the PTU vent. Will update with findings.

• 2 years later...
On 5/17/2017 at 10:06 AM, t4thfavor said:

Is there an update on this? I know it's almost a year old, but worth a shot. I'd like to replace my 2011 Edge sport's vent with the new SHO vent, and wondering how it comes out.

So what did you figure out. My vent is gone and can’t get one from ford dealer. Not in their computer. I clicked on post but got error 

Edited by Jeff62