User Device: "USB" not remembered on restart of car - defaults to "Line In"

Could not find this issue listed.

When I first got my car, when I plug in the iPod to USB port, you would go to the User Device tab on the Nav system and select Input as USB. Then, every time you restart the car and come and go, it would just start up the iPod and play.

For some reason, it now seems like it, upon restarts, is defaulting back to the "Line In" (which I never use) and not "USB" as it was and should minutes earlier.

I have been messing with settings a lot getting things configured as I like and do not think I could have done something to make this happen, but it is annoying to stop and run into the store and come back out and restart and have to re-tell the Nav system that I want "USB" and not "Line In" over and over. I swear it did not use to do this.

Any thoughts?

I've noticed something similar with my USB stick. It only happens when I unplug it and plug it back in. It's like it didn't make a good connection or something. It happened when I did the Sync version checker. I had to unplug the stick and plug it back in again.

However, once it is recognized and left in, it always defaults to USB

funny you mention that version checker as now that I think about it, this issue crept up after I removed the iPod from the USB port to put in the USB drive. since then I have had this issue. that is why I recall this not being an issue before.. I had only ever out the USB iPod cable in 1 time and never took it out until I plugged in the USB drive.

I have unplugged and replugged several times, but it always the same result since I did update checker... NOT implying it was the USB checker.. just saying I notice since then that it stops recalling the USB since then.

interesting

I'm getting a similar issue, only my bluetooth phone keeps over-riding my ipod (usb).

basically, the ipod is always plugged in. when i start the car, though, it finds the bluetooth phone (helio ocean -- has streaming audio capability) and switches to that as the audio device.

it'd be great if there were a "primary audio source" setting in sync which would default to the usb (ipod), much the way you can default to one phone even if two are registered.

I am noticing the same issue, and I think it might be related to cold. I have 5G iPod that is dedicated to the car. I am noticing that the iPod is a little flaky below about 25 degrees. I have to either unplug/plug it in, reset it or worst case shove it my pocket to warm it for a minute. I also have a new 5.5G Classic iPod, I may put that one up in the car and see if it is a little more tolerant.

I do not think mine is temp related as it is not cold here in SoCal plus I just did a trip to AZ for the last day and found it to be an intermittent problem. Spoke with Ford on Friday and there is NO way to set a default to always be USb... it will always and forever default to Line In. But, it seems not to be working as it should. hmmm....

I do not think mine is temp related as it is not cold here in SoCal plus I just did a trip to AZ for the last day and found it to be an intermittent problem. Spoke with Ford on Friday and there is NO way to set a default to always be USb... it will always and forever default to Line In. But, it seems not to be working as it should. hmmm....

Do you or anyone know if I use an IPOD touch do I have to purchase the Ford SPECIAL cord or can I use a different type. I have a Limited with Nav.Does it have to hook up in the glove conpartment. :reading:

I got the answer from Ford...

From what they say, the Sync starts up and then takes 30 seconds to search for devices and in that time reindex the iPod looking for it and any new songs you added/removed/etc. - at the same time the iPod is booting up and they say it takes longer to boot and talk to the Sync system and prepare and during that time, Sync moves on to the next in line since the iPod did not talk to it in time and that next item in line is "Line In".