Blower motor speed changing on own

carito

Hello. 2013 Limited. Started today. I normally keep the AC on auto. The blower has always made a faint ticking. Almost like a tiny piece of paper on the fan. Well today, while driving the speed just tapered off. I checked and it was all the way up. I turned off auto and lowered the fan speed and then back to full fan and it came back on.

A few minutes later the fan speed started to basically slightly increase from fast to slower and back. Not full to stop, but enough to notice. Then it just quit. Nothing. Well just happened to be taking son to park and pulled over. When I got in to leave, the AC came back on and was working. The fan speed is still modulating though. I CAN slow it down and speed it up fine using the controls so that seems ok. But when on high it gradually goes to about medium and will then increase and decrease and I dont think its staying really on high when set to Low.

Anyhow, anyone know what I would change out?? It's 100f outside and want to get it before it completely stops working. I have read about replacing the blower, or in some cars a capacitor or resistor? Anyone know if a new blower would contain either of those? I've changed this stuff out before in other cars so unless its NASA stuff, I'd like to save a few bucks and DIY and buying the right thing. This car only has 72k miles on it.

Thanks!

First check the cabin filter make sure it's clean. Otherwise replace it. Then check the blower fan to make sure nothing's fallen inside. If it's "all clear", then either the blower or the blower resistor/speed control are at fault. They are separate parts, the resistor being cheaper OEM than the blower.

2013 Edge Blower Motor and Speed Control.pdf

• Like 1

• 4 years later...