Transmission flush?

On 11/12/2019 at 8:49 AM, macbwt said:

The transmission fluid exchange does work if you do it about every 30-40K miles using a Mercon LV fluid (yes it works with the 2007-2010 also) Keep the fluid fresh and it will help the whole system.  I have NEVER replaced a transmission filter in the 6F50 transmission in nearly 700,000 accumulated miles between three Edges with two of them being over 285,000 miles each.  Maintenance folks keep the fluids changed.

why everywhere says that V and LV are NOT compatible? And they say DO NOT mix them. Looks like the difference isn't that big according to specs...

3.000 miles ago(the mileage was 115K) I decided to change the fluid, using AllData got confused reading this:

" NOTE: Transmission fluid application:
 -  Early build vehicles require MERCON(R) V
 -  Late build vehicles require MERCON(R) LV"

IDK why I didn't take a look on the dipstick cap(it says Mercon V) instead of I called the dealer and they told me LV(for my 2009 MKX).

I changed fluid 3 times and everything was fine within 3k miles.

Than it started: VIBRATION at Stop(traffic) lights. Almost no vibration in Neutral Only.

Reading/trying for 2 mounts - still nothing changed.

DONE:

Harmonic balancer(did not help).

Tensioner + belts(same problem).

Right engine mount + torque arm(still nothing).

Performed transmission line pressure test - got readings ~ 5% lower than AllData says..

Trying to think it's a torque converter?

Would it happened because I put LV instead of V?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS: new phazers, timing chain, water pump, spark plugs + coils etc  was done at the time with tranny's fluid change.

NEVER any codes, very gentle driving, full synthetic every 3K miles...

Edited by NzP

On 12/11/2023 at 1:07 AM, NzP said:

...everywhere says that V and LV are NOT compatible? ...DO NOT mix them ...difference isn't that big according to specs...

...3.000 miles ago(the mileage was 115K) ...decided to change the fluid ...confused reading this:

" NOTE: Transmission fluid application:
 -  Early build vehicles require MERCON(R) V
 -  Late build vehicles require MERCON(R) LV"

...didn't take a look on the dipstick cap(it says Mercon V)

...called the dealer and they told me LV(for my 2009 MKX).

...changed fluid 3 times and everything was fine within 3k miles.

...Than it started: VIBRATION at Stop(traffic) lights ...no vibration in Neutral Only.

Reading/trying for 2 mounts - still nothing changed.

DONE:

Harmonic balancer(did not help).

Tensioner + belts(same problem).

Right engine mount + torque arm(still nothing).

Performed transmission line pressure test - got readings ~ 5% lower than AllData says..

Trying to think it's a torque converter?

Would it happened because I put LV instead of V?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS: new phazers, timing chain, water pump, spark plugs + coils etc  was done at the time with tranny's fluid change.

NEVER any codes, very gentle driving, full synthetic every 3K miles...

Need to add 2009 MKX FWD\AWD to your avatar & signaure; makes questions easier to ask & answer.

Consider twice draining & refilling with MerconV; see if that clears up the vibes.

Alternative is to drain ~1qt  replace wih LucasTransmissionFix = extra thick ATF.

Is your 2009 MKX FrontWheelDrive or AllWheelDrive?

If AWD, have you ever drained\suctioned & renewed the 75w140 GearOil in the PTU.

PTU is a NotoriousFailureItem that can be a source of vibes, especially if not serviced at least every 33kMiles\4yrs;

preference here is every 8kMiles\1yr with a DIY drain & fill+vent can installed.

Edited by DILLARD000

Mine is AWD and the PTU drain plug installation was my dream(finally done it a month ago).

The only thing: how could be V and LV totally incompatible if most of the part stores sell universals ATF and it works???

I am waiting for OEM torque arm, couldn't get one from the dealer but finally I found one on eBay. Mine OEM torque arm's front bushing was torn, that's why vibration appeared(I thought). I got an aftermarket torque arm from eBay and then I found this forum and a post:

The OEM mounts are a composite of two different types of rubber with softer inserts.

• Like 1

I would be suspect about a transmission fluid that was both V and low viscosity. I had another vehicle that had the same transmission that first used Mercon, then Mercon V (which was back spec'ed for Mercon), and finally Mercon LV. I don't think anything changed as far as programming or friction material, but still with as many issues as these transmissions sometimes have, putting the incorrect fluid seems counter productive.

Generally Mercon LV is also Dexron VI spec (both low viscosity), and Mercon V is Dexron III. I am sure it much more compatible than SP.

• Like 1

Finally I replaced a torque arm with an OEM. Now I feel just a little vibration but a brend new OEM tensioner still slightly jumps. Like I said I put a new harmonic balancer and belts. Still no codes(never seen any codes). I tried to spin alternator and AC pulleys by hand, could not feel any problems with bearings...

9 hours ago, NzP said:

Finally I replaced a torque arm with an OEM. Now I feel just a little vibration but a brend new OEM tensioner still slightly jumps. Like I said I put a new harmonic balancer and belts. Still no codes(never seen any codes). I tried to spin alternator and AC pulleys by hand, could not feel any problems with bearings...

What are you using to read codes?

• 2 weeks later...

FYI Mercon LV on a 2011 Ford Edge 6F50 transmission with nearly 400,000 miles is running great and feels like new.  Crawls up the ramps easy for it's 30K fluid 3X changes. Using Valvoline Maxlife LV fluid most if it's life.    Now have over 1,000,000 accumulated miles on my 6F50's with not one single failure using Valvoline Max life LV fluid (not a sponsor) just sticking with what works for me.