Vehicle locked itself

Cadolid

I let my vehicle cool off for a couple minutes so I left the keys in the vehicle(100 degree day). When I returned to it I found that all the doors were locked with the keys inside the running car. Luckily I was at home when this occurred and got the extra set out of my safe. I know its not recommended to leave a car running due to thefts but I have two young children and don't want to put them in a hot car. Has anyone else experienced this with their edge?

Do you have the keyless start or a regular key?

Do you have the keypad on the door? If so you should memorize the code or set a new one so you can open the door in case it happens again.

The only way to lock an IA fob in the the vehicle is with the keypad or another fob.

The only way to lock an IA fob in the the vehicle is with the keypad or another fob.

That's the way it's supposed to be but we had two instances of our 2013 Edge (with IA) locked while running and key fob inside vehicle. In one case we had an extra key along, in the other we had to call AAA to come open it. The first time we thought it was a fluke. The second time was shortly before we got rid of it so we didn't bother having it checked by the dealer.

Is it possible you accidentally hit the keypad 7/8 and 9/0 buttons at the same time? That would do it although that seems unlikely.

As long as you have the keypad code (you can set your own code so it's easier to remember) you'll never be locked out. That's one of the best vehicle features ever invented and I don't know why other mfrs haven't copied it. Nissan tried once but that's the only one I remember.

That's the way it's supposed to be but we had two instances of our 2013 Edge (with IA) locked while running and key fob inside vehicle. In one case we had an extra key along, in the other we had to call AAA to come open it. The first time we thought it was a fluke. The second time was shortly before we got rid of it so we didn't bother having it checked by the dealer.

I thought all IA equipped vehicles came with the keypad?

I thought all IA equipped vehicles came with the keypad?

Yes, we had the keypad but never used it. The first time we chalked up as a fluke so we didn't think the keypad would be needed. By the second time we were already shopping replacement vehicles so didn't care. But you're right - it's a great idea that should be on more vehicles, even those with normal keys.

I had to do without it on my 2006 Fusion and I missed it. It's a great feature for not only making sure you're never locked out but also to allow other people to get stuff out of your vehicle (or even to leave the key in it and let someone else pick it up later). You can also leave the keys in the vehicle while you're swimming, jogging, etc.

If you have the IA fob and you lock it in the vehicle with the keypad it disables that fob from starting the car until you unlock the car with the keypad. So they can't just smash the window and drive off.

I'd love to see a commercial where a GM owner and a Ford owner both lock their keys inside and while the GM owner calls Onstar and waits for them to remotely unlock the vehicle the Ford owner walks up punches in 5 digits, gets in and drives off.

I have never even used or touched the keypad since I've owned it. I'm used to older vehicles which just used regular keys lol. I was given a card with the code(from ford) so I'll have to try it

You can also program your own codes (something easy to remember).

Programming a Personal Entry Code

1. Enter the factory-set five-digit code. 2. Press 1·2 on the keypad within five seconds.

3. Enter your personal five-digit code. You must do this within five seconds of completing step 2.

4. Press 1·2 on the keypad to save personal code 1.

The doors lock then unlock to confirm that programming was successful.

To program additional personal entry codes, repeat steps 1 through 3, then for step 4: Press 3·4 to save personal code 2. Press 5·6 to save personal code 3. Press 7·8 to save personal code 4. Press 9·0 to save personal code 5.

If your vehicle is fitted with MyFord Touch, you can also program the system with a personal entry code. (Seats, mirrors, etc.)

I bought my 2007 from a friend in work. it was his dads car who had passed away 6 months before. I took the car home to see if I wanted it. It was raining and I parked the car in the garage. The car was filthy form standing for 6 months. I decided to wipe off the car to see how bad the paint was. When I did I hit the last 2 buttons on the keypad and locked the doors. My exact words were "OH S**T what the **** do I do now." the keys were in the ignition. His mother actually had the card with the factory numbers in her wallet since they bought the car. Since that time I have set an additional combination that I won't forget.

This is one of the best features Ford offers.

If your vehicle is fitted with MyFord Touch, you can also program the system with a personal entry code. (Seats, mirrors, etc.)

When we were buying our Sorento, the salesman was bragging about the advanced electronics... when I asked how to program the memory seats and mirrors to match the separate remote fobs, he said he'd never heard of such a feature. I miss things like that from the Edge or even our Envoy before it. I guess what is considered "advanced electronics" is different depending on what you're used to.