Panoramic Vista Roof Problem - Broken clips

I was able to fix my track clips with the Sunroof Doctor replacement parts listed above as well as Steve's video. I lubed all tracks with white lithium grease but still can't get the cables to move the glass all the way forward. I may need to try with one assistant on each side. Any tips appreciated! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I reached out to the Sunroof Doctor for advice.

Hey Sunroof Doc,

I ordered these parts and replaced the broken guides in both tracks on my 2011 Ford Edge, but the sunroof still won't close all the way even if I try to manually push while holding down the glass close control. I've greased everywhere I can. I think one of the cables is caught so that it won't go past a certain point. 

Any troubleshooting tips on that?  I can see the motors if I remove the headliner in the rear compartment. I may need to order the cable assembly from you but am wondering if you can point me to a schematic or video first so I can try to repair the existing cable/motor.

He replied:

Hello. Look for a small screw or rivet in the area the sunroof is stopping at. A few customers have told us they have had to remove a screw or rivet to allow our new replacement sunroof guides to close.

If your sunroof is opening and closing except for the last several inches, your cables and motor should be fine. 

to which I replied:

Thanks, Rick. I'm not seeing anything but will keep looking when I have a little more time. It sounds like it's jamming up or snagging a little bit on one side when I first start to close it from a fully open position. Gets to about 2/3 of the way closed. Still squeaking a bit so may be a lube issue too. 

I'm going to try removing the glass again to see if the cables have full range of motion on either side. Will post video here.

From the 2008 Edge Workshop Manual, the written Initialization procedure...

Good luck!

Roof Opening Panel Motor Initialization

warning.jpgWARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: New roof opening panel glass motor/shade motors must be initialized after installation.

NOTE: An de-initialized glass or shade motor will stutter step open when their respective open switches are pressed.

NOTE: The glass close switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state.

1. Start the engine.
  2. Press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.
  3. Release, repress and hold the glass close switch (for at least 10 seconds).
    • For a new drive assembly, the glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop, stall and then move backward a few millimeters and then forward.
    • For an existing drive assembly, the glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.
    • The shade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.
    • After the shade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the glass close switch.
  4. Press and hold the glass close switch.
    • The glass and shades will fully open together. Then, the glass will close first and then the shades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the shades have stopped moving, release the glass close switch.
    • Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.
      • If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 4.
Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

Thanks - I'm familiar with the initialization sequence and have tried it several times. The problem is that the glass won't fully close because the cable won't extend that far, which is the first step in the process.  I can get the shade to close under the open glass, which shouldn't happen, and tried to initialize it there, but it didn't have any effect other than maybe moving the glass a hair closer to closed.

You can see in this video what's happening. The driver's-side cable guide that's getting hung up has about twice as much side-to-side play as the guide in the passenger-side track. Nothing is in the track to impede it, which is something the Sunroof Doctor suggested to check for, like a rivet or something. 

I'd really like to avoid paying $2800 to get this fixed. Hoping someone has experience with the cables and motors. I haven't found a video of those yet.

Edited by ryanlink
added "because the cable won't extend that far"

@Haz thanks for the schematics. I pulled off the glass motor and discovered, as I suspected, an issue with the cable.  Looks like at some point it popped out of the channel and got a pretty nasty kink/twist in it. I'll have to order a replacement, cut off the old cable at the kink to get it out, feed the new one through, and take the track off again to connect it to the guide.

20220429_140202.jpg

20220429_140220.jpg

20220429_141116.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post but I wanted to add my experience. Same problem. Got a quote from my dealership yesterday.  $9990.00 (That is not a typo.) Like a previous reply stated, they won't sell the clips separately but I think I can find them online or at least get a used pair.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone found a way to manually close the sunroof, and get it to seal?   I don’t care if it doesn’t work after I get it closed.  I could push it by hand to get it close, But looks like it’s about 1” away from all the way closed, and the back is still vented.   Thanks!