Sport rpms fluctuating in highway in 6th gear at low rpms

junehhan

Thanks for the update. Mine does it in both D and S mode. Of biggest concern is that the rpm fluctuations get worse when the car is fully loaded. I had 5 adults in my car a few nights ago for a dinner meeting and it almost felt like it was bucking as I was heading up a steep cut in the hill on I75 as soon as you cross into Kentucky. I was looking at the tach and it appeared to be fluctuating as much as 300rpms while driving up at 59mph in 6th gear with cruise control on. I spend a lot of time in cruise control as it is the single best way for me to stay out of trouble with the speed cops. Because I have a lead foot, I usually easily end up at felonious speeds otherwise.

I am supposed to take it in to the dealership this Thursday morning, but probably will have to cancel as I am going to be insanely busy for at least a couple of months.

Well I visited with the dealer twice and am shocked that more people are not noticing this. They are guessing it is something weird being caused by variations in boost pressure. 2 other Sports on the lot do exactly the same thing. They are now curious and shot a message to the hotline. It may be something that is not normal that is normal for the Sports. I am probably going to have the transmission reprogrammed by Livernois at some point just so it never lugs itself around.

• Like 1

Yeah. I am starting to see why Ford does not offer the trailer tow package for our Sports. I went along with the service manager and saw the tachometers dancing under the same highway and driving speeds. Only difference was that they had 87 octane in them while I run premium. The service manager was very impressed as this was the first time he road and drove the new Edge. Once the hotline gets back to him, I will update this thread.

What first tipped me off to the boost issue, a buddy of mine use to have an old 1987 ninja 750 with a turbo, and it would do the same thing.....when I got the edge, it felt exactly the same but on a bike its a little more freaky.....cause it felt like the turbo wanted to boost on its own. Now maybe the 2.7eb is sensative to boost pressure and it shows up as little surges.

Im only running 87 octane in mine right now, but I will be getting the LMS tune at the end of this month, so Ill report back once I have that in place and can compare to stock.....regardless, the 2.7eb is a potent little engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thought I might step in here to see what the dealers hotline has to say for junehhan. I'm having the same issue. I have a 2014 sport that I have done some mode's to. One mode is a BBK throttle body for the 3.7 with a cold air intake. The throttle body works excellent with added power and better response to the throttle. But it made the surging a little bit worse when in cruise control in 6 gear at any speed over 50 mph.- 70 mph. If I take it off of cruise it seems to stop doing it, where as I have to use the throttle peddle to control the speed. I had a 2008 Edge that was doing it too on any hill climb, and it was a bad Coil. I don't think it is the coil this time where as a lot of sport models are having the same problem, and I have a X4 SCT Programmer from Unleashed tuning on my sport and it is showing know misfire to any cylinder. I will be very interested to see what the hotline has to say. Thank you.

Myself I'm feeling it more, than seeing the rpm fluctuating. The only way for me to turn off the OD would be to shift into sport mod and stay in 5 gear, which I have not tried yet. Thank you for the test idea. Good thinking. Cause it seems to only happen up hill in cruise in drive or 6th gear. After I try this I will post back, thanks again.

The hotline said it is within normal limits. Unofficially, someone thinks it is sloppy programming. I can tell you that it did the same thing on 2 other sports which were also 2016's. It feels like fluctuations in boost at those low rpms as each little mini surge in accompanied by a very light rushing air noise. Ironically, I was in an Enterprise F150 rental today with the 2.7 and it did not do it.

Hi all, thought I might step in here to see what the dealers hotline has to say for junehhan. I'm having the same issue. I have a 2014 sport that I have done some mode's to. One mode is a BBK throttle body for the 3.7 with a cold air intake. The throttle body works excellent with added power and better response to the throttle. But it made the surging a little bit worse when in cruise control in 6 gear at any speed over 50 mph.- 70 mph. If I take it off of cruise it seems to stop doing it, where as I have to use the throttle peddle to control the speed. I had a 2008 Edge that was doing it too on any hill climb, and it was a bad Coil. I don't think it is the coil this time where as a lot of sport models are having the same problem, and I have a X4 SCT Programmer from Unleashed tuning on my sport and it is showing know misfire to any cylinder. I will be very interested to see what the hotline has to say. Thank you.

Also did you get a tune when you replaced the TB? Throttle body upgrades almost always need a new tune as the computer will have trouble getting things right if there is a change in airflow. My Sport and other 2015+ Sports mostly do it at very low,rpms in 6th gear.Once you are above 59mph, it goes away. Also I only see it on the tachometer, but do not feel it unless I am going up a steep highway incline in 6th gear.

Tried the 5 gear up hill at 60 mph know surging up hill at all ,even at lower speeds and faster speeds. Put it back in drive or in 6 gear up hill and the surging starts. Even when I'm in 5 gear and its not surging up hill, and I shift in to 6th gear it starts surging. I'm thinking it is the lock out torque converter now, I may be wrong, but it is sure seems trans related. I think you are right I need a new tune from Unleashed thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

This seems odd.,sounds like tq converter locking and unlocking. For comparison our 2014 Srx which has the same transmission as the edge will hold 6th ger even on hills. But the Nissans I have driven with cvts are terrible in this regard lots of chuggling its not even nice to drive between 35-45 mph. I would push this with ford big time. It's gonna wear the transmission out early,.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems odd.,sounds like tq converter locking and unlocking. For comparison our 2014 Srx which has the same transmission as the edge will hold 6th ger even on hills. But the Nissans I have driven with cvts are terrible in this regard lots of chuggling its not even nice to drive between 35-45 mph. I would push this with ford big time. It's gonna wear the transmission out early,.

With the fact that he modified the TB which alters the airflow patterns into the engine, the first step would be to have his tune adjusted. It could be as simple as a computer not being able to figure things out. Anything beyond a simple intake or catback exhaust will almost always mandate a reprogram.

• 3 weeks later...

Insist that the tech rides with you while hooked into the computer. All sports actually do this and it is currecty considered normal. My dealer confirmed with the hotline that it was normal. It is believed to be small little variations in boost when the rpms are in that threshhold between positive and negative boost. As your car breaks in, it will mostly go away or be so minor you cannot tell. I barely see in on the tach and stopped being able to feel it 3000 miles ago. Just let the computer learn and give it time. Don't baby it or abuse it as you break it in.

• Like 2

Insist that the tech rides with you while hooked into the computer. All sports actually do this and it is currecty considered normal. My dealer confirmed with the hotline that it was normal. It is believed to be small little variations in boost when the rpms are in that threshhold between positive and negative boost. As your car breaks in, it will mostly go away or be so minor you cannot tell. I barely see in on the tach and stopped being able to feel it 3000 miles ago. Just let the computer learn and give it time. Don't baby it or abuse it as you break it in.

I believe it is this as well.....mine has vastly improved, with just minor blips hear and there....I have over 30,000km on my edge sport now.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I'm a little late to the party but curious if anyone figured this issue out for sure. I have a 2007 SEL Plus that I acquired, I recently replaced the engine (old one was at 235k, new one has 82k miles) it does the exact same think before with the old engine and now with the new. Coil packs and throttle body are different with the engines. It has that 100 rpm surge at about 1500 rpm and seems to be specific to the high gear.  

OD off doesn’t stop it. As best I can tell it’s like it’s pushed up to the point to shift in the final gear but just can’t quit decide to. If you ease off the gas or speed picks up slightly it will shift on and it stops in the next gear. Same if you apply a little more throttle and go deeper into that gear. (Not so much you downshift)

what is the fluid maintenance history, how do level and condition look.

tss and oss sensor issues are common of course for this MY. but try a tube or two anyway of lubegard shudder fixx if the fluid looks good. won't hurt anything. if the issue goes away, it is definitely the torque converter.

i am not looking at engine right now due to the issue carrying over. tcm programming should be the same. throttle body and maf sensor i expect were cleaned when engine was replaced, may be due again.