2015 Edge rev limiter

Kmans777

Ran into this issue for the first time recently, happened twice. Managed to cause it to to happen again. Here's what's going on. Went to pass another car, speed was around 35-40. Put the pedal to the floor. The trans kicked down and engine rpm shot up as it should, then it lost power. As soon as I let off the gas engine resumed normal operation. Second time happened was going a bit faster but same result. No warning lights came on, nothing. Due to the fact I was trying to pass, didn't have my head buried in the instrument panel so not sure what the RPMs were. When I managed to repeat the condition, I was watching the rpm and it shot off the scale(didn't have the round dial displayed so not sure if it went into the red) which tops out at a little over 6,000 rpm. Question is, if the rev limiter is causing this shouldn't the trans shift up before the engine reaches the rev limiter? It's pretty scarey and dangerous when you pull out to pass and you expect to accelerate and it doesn't happen. Getting ready to take into the dealer to have them look at it. Any insight or anyone having had the same experience, your replies would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW - Trans was in normal operating mode. This is our second Edge. Never experienced this with the first(2010 Ford Edge Limited).
2015 FORD EDGE TITANIUM AWD 3.5L

The downshift should not be taking it to redline - computer is too smart to do that. Are you sure the traction control light wasn't blinking? That will cut power as well.

Try downshifting manually in sport mode, then nail the throttle and see if it happens again. If it does then it may be a fuel/throttle body issue.

• Like 1

akirby - I agree, the computer shouldn't be letting it get to red line. Has only occurred when vehicle is moving. Doesn't do it from a stop. And it's not easily repeatable. So I'm wondering when I'm rolling along at xx mph and I floor it, that the kick down is occurring at the point where the computer is about to change how far down the trans will shift. In other words I'm catching the gear at the top end and the engine revs to catch up and before the trans can shift up the engine rpm enters the redline zone and the rev limiter kicks in. If that makes sense......

macbwt - hadn't thought about the mykey. It does mimic that behavior to a degree. Had a rental Mustang do that to me a few years ago. Caught me completely by surprise. Called a buddy and he told me about the keys. Called Avis and told them about it. They were completely unaware of that feature.

• Like 1

akirby - I agree, the computer shouldn't be letting it get to red line. Has only occurred when vehicle is moving. Doesn't do it from a stop. And it's not easily repeatable. So I'm wondering when I'm rolling along at xx mph and I floor it, that the kick down is occurring at the point where the computer is about to change how far down the trans will shift. In other words I'm catching the gear at the top end and the engine revs to catch up and before the trans can shift up the engine rpm enters the redline zone and the rev limiter kicks in. If that makes sense......

macbwt - hadn't thought about the mykey. It does mimic that behavior to a degree. Had a rental Mustang do that to me a few years ago. Caught me completely by surprise. Called a buddy and he told me about the keys. Called Avis and told them about it. They were completely unaware of that feature.

Worth a shot to turn it off and then drive to see if anything changes.