Terminology of a Part,Asking the Experts

NJ08EDGE

Im trying to find a part but can't figure out what its called. I've googled for weeks with no progress. :banghead:

Im looking for the clear piece of plastic that a bulb and or socket clips into for mountings like The license plate, glovebox, cupholders, trunk lid.

The bulb wouldnt be visible because its hidden within or behind where its mounted but the light would shine through the flush plastic piece into where its intended.

OEM or Stock makes no difference to me.

:sos: HELP meeeeee.

Im trying to find a part but can't figure out what its called. I've googled for weeks with no progress. :banghead:

Im looking for the clear piece of plastic that a bulb and or socket clips into for mountings like The license plate, glovebox, cupholders, trunk lid.

The bulb wouldnt be visible because its hidden within or behind where its mounted but the light would shine through the flush plastic piece into where its intended.

OEM or Stock makes no difference to me.

:sos: HELP meeeeee.

Hi NJ08. :D If I understand your question correctly, I think you are describing a "lens". License Plate light "lens", glovebox light "lens" etc.

You can always ask your Dealers parts department for a part #, then purchase OEM if you wish.

I apologize ahead of time if I am misunderstanding.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi NJ08. :D If I understand your question correctly, I think you are describing a "lens". License Plate light "lens", glovebox light "lens" etc.

You can always ask your Dealers parts department for a part #, then purchase OEM if you wish.

I apologize ahead of time if I am misunderstanding.

Thank you for your Help. I had tried using "lens" as a google keyword, didn't have any luck :-(. Unfortunately I cant call my dealer because Im not replacing an old existing part...Im tryin to put in a flush mounted light where there wasn't one before.

Maybe I can just describe it to Ford and they can get me one even if i dont have an existing one. Its worth a shot. Thanks for Your Help :-)

Thank you for your Help. I had tried using "lens" as a google keyword, didn't have any luck :-(. Unfortunately I cant call my dealer because Im not replacing an old existing part...Im tryin to put in a flush mounted light where there wasn't one before.

Maybe I can just describe it to Ford and they can get me one even if i dont have an existing one. Its worth a shot. Thanks for Your Help :-)

Hi NJ08. :D Okay, I think I understand now.

If it is a case of you attempting to fabricate a flush mount light housing on your own, why not try the following: Since you are creating a new fixture, you can use any clear plastic lens from any part of any vehicle. Just decide the approximate size and shape you need, then look at all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles for one that is closest to your needs. When you find one that is acceptable, just have the Parts department order it for you.

For example, if you discover that the Lincoln MKZ has a rear license plate light lens that is the right size, just have a Lincoln/Mercury Dealer order one.

In addition, since you are fabricating your own housing, you could use a lens from another manufacturer if it suits your needs.

Maybe you have already thought of this, but figured I would throw the idea out there.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi NJ08. :D Okay, I think I understand now.

If it is a case of you attempting to fabricate a flush mount light housing on your own, why not try the following: Since you are creating a new fixture, you can use any clear plastic lens from any part of any vehicle. Just decide the approximate size and shape you need, then look at all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles for one that is closest to your needs. When you find one that is acceptable, just have the Parts department order it for you.

For example, if you discover that the Lincoln MKZ has a rear license plate light lens that is the right size, just have a Lincoln/Mercury Dealer order one.

In addition, since you are fabricating your own housing, you could use a lens from another manufacturer if it suits your needs.

Maybe you have already though of this, but figured I would throw the idea out there.

The Lenses That I am speaking of have a clip that the bulb or socket attaches to so that the bulb isnt free floating in the lens. If i order what i know as a "lens" it will just be a rectangular piece of plastic without any means of attaching a bulb that fits onto a light assembly (think of a tail light lens).

I have seen trunk lighting that is a rectangular plastic box that has a "c"-shaped clip in which the bulb socket clips. This box clips up into the trunk lid or deck and stays in place by means of tabs that when pressed allow the housing to drop back down in order to change bulbs.

Unfortunately i cannot find pictures or examples due to the terminology problem im having :-( .

The Lenses That I am speaking of have a clip that the bulb or socket attaches to so that the bulb isnt free floating in the lens. If i order what i know as a "lens" it will just be a rectangular piece of plastic without any means of attaching a bulb that fits onto a light assembly (think of a tail light lens).

I have seen trunk lighting that is a rectangular plastic box that has a "c"-shaped clip in which the bulb socket clips. This box clips up into the trunk lid or deck and stays in place by means of tabs that when pressed allow the housing to drop back down in order to change bulbs.

Unfortunately i cannot find pictures or examples due to the terminology problem im having :-( .

In tinkering with My edge last night, I realized that the interior "courtesy" light (behind the rear driverside seats back near the inside hatch and folding seat buttons ) is the piece i am reffering to. if u wiggle its clips free from the wall it comes out with the bulb attached to the lens, this is the type of piece im looking for only smaller if possible. TINKERING saves the day! :rockon:

Outside applications will require different sealing than inside, so keep that in mind.

Most body parts are found by drilling down through an illustration, rather than part name. Between the Ford engineers and the service parts analysts, the same type part can have multiple names. The illustration gives the parts personnel the base part number for the part and they look up specific applications from there.

Most of these parts would not be dealer stocked, so you can't just walk the bins until you find something you might use. They are so infrequently replaced, they would be very low volume parts.

You might also try a salvage yard and look at interior lamps, trunk lamps, door panel lamps, etc. from all makes and models of vehicles.

Outside applications will require different sealing than inside, so keep that in mind.

Most body parts are found by drilling down through an illustration, rather than part name. Between the Ford engineers and the service parts analysts, the same type part can have multiple names. The illustration gives the parts personnel the base part number for the part and they look up specific applications from there.

Most of these parts would not be dealer stocked, so you can't just walk the bins until you find something you might use. They are so infrequently replaced, they would be very low volume parts.

You might also try a salvage yard and look at interior lamps, trunk lamps, door panel lamps, etc. from all makes and models of vehicles.

A Salvage Yard is a GREAT idea, Thanks So much Grey

• 4 years later...