Windshield Glare

I'm with you Edgy....I see the reflections, somewhat, but not enough to bother me. Edgy and I both have the charcoal interior and were built around the same date (end of April). It really is not an issue for me either. :yup:

I believe it is only a big issue with those of us who have Camel or Light Stone interiors, in that the image of the light colored dash is reflected onto the windshield. It is distracting to some, others seem to cope. The use of polarized sunglasses cuts the image. The fix would probably be to have the upper dash painted the "taupe" color that accompanies the Camel/Lt. Stone interiors. I wear sunglasses (bronze color/polarized) whenever I drive during the daylight hours...it slows the development of cataracts, so the image doesn't bother me. It really doesn't bother me without the glasses, you just look through it...depth of field and all that.

Maybe Ford missed this item, it's neither here nor there. I'm sure it will be fixed in the future, constant whining about it won't change the current situation. It's fixable...yes, at your cost probably. If that's not acceptable to someone, please sell the car, as it is obviously a distraction and we all have enough distractions while driving.

I test drove and purchased my Edge when it was raining. The sun came out one week later and the glare from the dash is HORRIBLE. At times, I can hardly see through the reflection. Is there anyone else with a Camel dash that is having this trouble? I have since found various articles on the net that discuss the problem. I guess Ford knew about the issue before they launched. Ford rep told me this is not a defect, it is all within certain standards, therefore nothing will be done to correct the issue. I just have to live with it. Polarized sunglasses are out as I wear glasses. Any suggestions?!?!?!?

The glare can be really bad if I am driving toward the sun. Since I have been using my new (more expensive) sunglasses (my 4.99 ones were not working) the glare has been forgotten.

I am thinking of getting the dash mat. There is times when I don't want to wear sunglasses.

Has the dash mat fixed the problem for others?

Charcoal gray interior.

After rolling in to the Vons parking lot and heading toward the sun and almost not seeing a pedestrian crossing because they were in the glare, I decided to try different things to eliminate the glare.

This weekend with the help of a friend, I tried my own experiment to try to get rid of the glare. I had the front windshield facing the sun as that is when the glare is at its worst.

Putting up dark material on passenger and driver windows to simulate tinted windows. It has been mentioned on the forum that tinting the windows would help. Result: No change in the glare

Same thing with light material. Result: No change in the glare.

Closing up vista roof trying again. Result: No change in the glare.

Shading very top of front windshield to create shade on the outside. Result: Only helped the part that was shaded. Can't shade whole window; law won't let me. So much for that idea.

Covered dash with light material to simulate dash mat. Result: Not much help and dash reflected it back like a mirror.

Covered dash with dark material to simulate dash mat. Result: Hey, now this seems to be working. Not perfect but a more than 50% improvement in seeing out the window.

Combined this last idea with covering the passenger window and driver window and closing the vista window. No difference.

End result, a black dash mat worked for me and tinting the side windows will not be necessary.

Try your own experiments and see if it matches mind or is different. Or let me know if you come up with other ideas.

Oh, and also tried this with and without sunglasses and with sunglasses and the black material on the dash was the best result.

I have a red Edge with the charcoal interior. I can always see the glare, but it is no where near as bad as the pictures posted on here. Though on my Edge the majority of the glare is from the chrome middle area of the dash. A small price to pay to drive such a fun vehicle.

red with black interior

Add me to the list of people who don't see it unless I look for it. When I look for it, it is definatly there...but usually I am looking far up the road and not at the glass.

I have the same charcoal interior, and I didn't notice bad reflections any more than I've noticed reflections from the top of the dash in any other car. I guess I do notice the top of the center stack now that I've read this thread, but the reflection is nothing that bothers me.

I have the same charcoal interior, and I didn't notice bad reflections any more than I've noticed reflections from the top of the dash in any other car. I guess I do notice the top of the center stack now that I've read this thread, but the reflection is nothing that bothers me.

I'm of your opinion entirely, the reflection with the charcoal interior is minor. What bothers me more is the reflection of the outboard vent trim in the side window when I'm trying to use the side mirror.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I am thinking of getting the dash mat. There is times when I don't want to wear sunglasses.

Has the dash mat fixed the problem for others?

Yes. A dash (tacky or not) makes a huge difference. I purchased mine from JC Whitney. It fits extremely well and the color was almost an exact match for our camel interior. As a bonus I noticed the interior does not heat up near as much as before.

• 3 months later...
Yes. A dash (tacky or not) makes a huge difference. I purchased mine from JC Whitney. It fits extremely well and the color was almost an exact match for our camel interior. As a bonus I noticed the interior does not heat up near as much as before.

I have a 2007 Edge with the Light Stone interior and agree that polarized glasses help a lot but still get the reflection on cloudy/rainy days whe I prefer not use sunglaases. Was think about a dark dash met to help but I was unsure how well they would fit. Anybody have any pictures with the custom dash mats?

BillM